MessageBoxPopUp in PDF made by PostScript’s pdfmark

jdaw1

Aug 23, 2021, 6:44:20 PM8/23/21
I’m generating a PDF from PostScript. I might generate one, upload it, and have others check it. It might be updated. And re-updated. Then somebody is to print it, and, sometimes, what is printed is a cached old version. Ouch!

One solution — rejected for this problem — would be to have many separate file names. Not good: there should be a single canonical-seeming file name; and the drafts should not have a permanent life.

A different technique is something I don’t know how to do. In the PDF, presumably added via `pdfmark`, could there be something like the following pseudocode?

```
On Open
{
If Today ≤ HardWiredDateConstantBeingDateOfTasting
{
MessageBoxPopUp
string="This version HardWiredStringConstant: check that is latest with a force-reload."
Buttons={"OK, checked"}
}
}
```

If any readers of comp.lang.postscript know how to pdfmark that, pls do say. Thank you.

Relevant links:
http://github.com/jdaw1/placemat/issues/152
http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=175&p=112066#p112066

luser droog

Aug 26, 2021, 7:21:23 PM8/26/21
This might not be very portable, but IIRC with acrobat you can embed JavaScript.
I'm not sure what flavor of JS it uses nor what functions are available.

But, using that you could have a file called maybe "last-revision.txt" with just the
timestamp of the latest version. Then your JS code could fetch the file and compare
to the hard wired constant.