HTML group? (preliminary proposal)

Message has been deleted

Alan Coopersmith

Jan 18, 1994, 11:45:18 PM1/18/94
ba...@pop.psu.edu (David Barr) writes in comp.infosystems.www:
| With the popualarity of WWW, it seems that there's more and
|more questions regarding HTML. There's already comp.text.sgml.
|How about creating comp.text.html?

Or should alt.hypertext be mainstreamed and include HTML posts there?
(comp.text.hyper? comp.infosystems.hypertext?)

Alan Coopersmith Internet: al...@ocf.berkeley.edu
U.C. Berkeley Open Computing Facility Bitnet: alanc@ucbocf

Jeff Suttor

Jan 18, 1994, 10:24:17 PM1/18/94
ba...@pop.psu.edu (David Barr) writes:
> With the popualarity of WWW, it seems that there's more and
>more questions regarding HTML. There's already comp.text.sgml.
>How about creating comp.text.html?

Probably should be HTMLplus *if* a group is created.

HTML is a poor SGML instance with a great browser, Mosaic.

How about if we start to focus on real SGML and a browser that
can read *any* DTD rather than what happens to be popular at the
moment, HTML?

Imagine the power of a real open tool based on an ISO standard
with the flexiblity to change with the content of the information
and our ability to express it.

JSu...@Library.UCLA.Edu

USENET News System

Jan 19, 1994, 7:10:56 AM1/19/94

If a new group was to be formed for HTML discussions, I would suggest
comp.infosystems.www.html

Tim BL

Martin Hamilton

Jan 19, 1994, 6:01:55 AM1/19/94
[Jeff Suttor wrote: ]

> How about if we start to focus on real SGML and a browser that
> can read *any* DTD rather than what happens to be popular at the
> moment, HTML?
>
> Imagine the power of a real open tool based on an ISO standard
> with the flexiblity to change with the content of the information
> and our ability to express it.

You left out the smiley :-)

Bob Bosiljevac

Jan 20, 1994, 11:48:52 AM1/20/94
>HTML is a poor SGML instance with a great browser, Mosaic.
>
>How about if we start to focus on real SGML and a browser that
>can read *any* DTD rather than what happens to be popular at the
>moment, HTML?
>
>Imagine the power of a real open tool based on an ISO standard
>with the flexiblity to change with the content of the information
>and our ability to express it.
>
>JSu...@Library.UCLA.Edu

Is there any talk about this within the WWW community? I would love
to be able to use Mosaic to browse documents that are in SGML but not
necessarily in HTML.

Further does anyone have any experience (or comments on) transforming
SGML documents that are in another DTD into HTML? (on the fly?
batched?)

|Bob Bosiljevac | I speak for myself only. |
|brr...@nt.com | |
|(905) 452-5116 or ESN (333)-5116 | |