Apache suexec

birdman22

Oct 25, 2000, 9:21:38 PM10/25/00
Has anyone had any experiance setting up Apache's suexec (allowing you to
run cgi scipts) on Linux Slackware or similar OS. Apache is currently
installed to /var/lib/apache. I have being trying to use apaches APACI
configure to enable suexec support. When doing so I get the following error:

hutwa:/var/lib/apache$ sudo configure --prefix=/var/lib/apache
Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.9
configure:Error: Path layout definition not found or incorrect

I have had to create my own config.layout file in /var/lib/apache:

# FOO Layout
<Layout FOO>
prefix: /var/lib/apache
exec_prefix: $prefix
bindir: $exec_prefix/bin
sbindir: $exec_prefix/sbin
libexecdir: /var/lib/apache/lib
mandir: /var/lib/apache/man
sysconfdir: /var/lib/apache/conf
datadir: /usr/share/apache
includedir: /var/lib/apache/include
localstatedir: /var
runtimedir: $localstatedir/run
logfiledir: $localstatedir/log/apache
proxycachedir: $localstatedir/proxy
</Layout>

ls in apache dir:
hutwa:/var/lib/apache$ ls -a
./ KEYS README.configure config.layout icons/
proxy/
../ LICENSE WARNING-NT.TXT configure* include/
sbin/
ABOUT_APACHE Makefile.tmpl bin/ homejason libexec/ src/
Announcement README cgi-bin/ htdocs/ mail
INSTALL README.NT conf/ html/ man/

I have also created the following dirs:

/usr/share/apache
/var/log/apache
/var/proxy

I have tried altering config.layout but still keep getting the same error.

Please email me at jsn...@hotmail.com if you think you may be able to help.

Joshua Slive

Oct 26, 2000, 2:59:58 PM10/26/00
In comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix birdman22 <h...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Has anyone had any experiance setting up Apache's suexec (allowing you to
> run cgi scipts) on Linux Slackware or similar OS. Apache is currently
> installed to /var/lib/apache. I have being trying to use apaches APACI
> configure to enable suexec support. When doing so I get the following error:

> hutwa:/var/lib/apache$ sudo configure --prefix=/var/lib/apache
> Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.9
> configure:Error: Path layout definition not found or incorrect

> I have had to create my own config.layout file in /var/lib/apache:

Ummm, you are not specifying which layout to use on the
configure command line, so Apache is probably trying to look for
its default layout, which you have probably removed from the file.
I think the option you want is --with-layout=, but I don't
remember for sure.

--
Joshua Slive
slive...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca

birdman22

Oct 27, 2000, 5:20:38 AM10/27/00
Thanks, I am a step closer:

sudo
configure --prefix=/var/lib/apache --with-layout=/var/lib/apache/config.layo
ut

sed: -e expression #1, char 25: Unknown command: ``v''

configure:Error: Path layout definition not found or incorrect

sed I believe is a stream editor used by configure. I have used grep to
search for files containing the string ``v'' but only found it some programs
in my downloads dir within htdocs. What other files besides config.layout
might this be reffering to?

Thanks, bm22

Joshua Slive <slive...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca> wrote in message

Joshua Slive

Oct 27, 2000, 12:50:27 PM10/27/00
In comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix birdman22 <h...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Thanks, I am a step closer:

> sudo
> configure --prefix=/var/lib/apache --with-layout=/var/lib/apache/config.layo
> ut

No. --with-layout specifies the name of the layout within the
config.layout file. That file, I believe, MUST be in the same directory
as configure. Why are you fooling with this stuff anyway? The best
way to change the layout is to use the command line options for
each of the filename options. Please read the INSTALL file carefully
and start again from scratch.