|||| Help Req: Apache and executables

John Doe

Oct 7, 2001, 6:45:01 PM10/7/01
what do I need to do in my httpd.conf to use .exe files???? I have 2 .exe
programs I want to serve as content to my users. typing in a url to point
to one of them simply brings up a run/save dialog box, instead of the web
page you would expect.

Win2K Server SP2
Apache 1.3.20/ModSSL 2.8.4/OpenSSL 0.9.6a/PHP 4.0.6

Guenter

Oct 7, 2001, 6:57:37 PM10/7/01
Hi Nobody,
if you have put the exe in ./cgi-bin then it should work as long as the exe is
written as cgi. Test it and download what you get back, then check if the
downloaded file is the original exe or the output you expect. If it is the
output your program is no cgi; in this case you can perhaps make a wrapper in
perl which first prints the content type and then executes your exe...
Guenter.

William A. Rowe, Jr.

Oct 7, 2001, 10:49:29 PM10/7/01
A bit deeper than that.

You have to return a Content-type: header other than text/plain and
binary/octet-stream, or MSIE will misrecognize it, and even then...

To save yourself grief trying to seperate the two, don't use IE to
intially test, since it isn't HTTP compliant. Use Netscape or Mozilla
to test that you get the right response, then debug your content type.

Oh, you might want the Content-dispostion: inline header as well, perhaps
with a non-exe filename arg. But that's your second battle, first question
is will your script work on NS/Mozilla :)

Bill