WARP & Explorer & SLIP..how the hell.....

Tariq Ahmed

Nov 25, 1994, 9:41:06 PM11/25/94

I've got WARP. But I can't get the SLIP thing to work properly.
IT dials the server provider...but. I wish it worked like Trumpet Winsock
where I can manually dial in.
The internet service provider I'm with uses an Annex server, IE,
I type in SLIP, and it tells me my IP address for that session, it's not
static. And I want to enter the username and pw, not the slip software.
Suggestions? Are there alternatives?

--
----===<<Your Friendly Neighbourhood RaTT>>===----

Matt Hucke

Nov 26, 1994, 12:18:00 AM11/26/94
Followups redirected to comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip

ai...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Tariq Ahmed) writes:
> The internet service provider I'm with uses an Annex server, IE,
>I type in SLIP, and it tells me my IP address for that session, it's not
>static. And I want to enter the username and pw, not the slip software.
> Suggestions? Are there alternatives?

You could probably dial in with any standard terminal program (such as
LiveWire, HyperAccess, Telix, etc.), log in, start SLIP, and exit.
Then use 'bootp sl0' so the local address can be received from the
server.

I use SLIPPM myself, with a script.

--
I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.
hu...@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu

Matt Hucke

Nov 26, 1994, 12:22:33 AM11/26/94
[ It's now properly multithreaded, meaning you can view the document
as the graphics are being downloaded. Very fast! ]

Reposted from comp.os.os2.announce:

>From: rrs...@ibm.net
>Subject: AVAILABLE: WebExplorer version 0.92 (beta)

Submitted by: Matt Hickman (rrs...@ibm.net)
Source: John Ruiz (jr...@vnet.ibm.com)
Date received: 1994 November 23
Date posted: 1994 November 23
WebExplorer V0.92 is now available via anonymous ftp and the "Retrieve
Software Updates" icon in OS/2 Warp.

Warp users:
-----------
Use the "Retrieve Software Updates" icon in the IBM Internet
Connection for OS/2 folder. If you are running the GAMMA version of
Warp, you will have to change the program settings. Change the "Path
and file name:" field from:

LINKUP.EXE

to:

UPDATE.EXE

Change the "Parameters:" field from:

UPDATE.EXE /h updates.gopher.ibm.com

to:

/h updates.gopher.ibm.com

The change to use UPDATE.EXE directly rather than through LINKUP.EXE
is due to a bug in GAMMA that has been fixed for the GA version (i.e.
what will be available in the stores). LINKUP.EXE is used to check
for a slip connection before starting the internet applications.
Because of this GAMMA bug, which is a conflict between LINKUP.EXE and
UPDATE.EXE you can not run any other internet applications using
LINKUP.EXE during the WebExplorer download. All the icons for the
applications use LINKUP.EXE, but you can use the applications if you
start them directly from a command line.

Other users:
------------
The WebExplorer code is also available via anonymous ftp from
ftp.ibm.net in the /pub/WebExplorer directory.

These are the official methods for getting the latest WebExplorer
code. Please post bug reports, comments and suggestions here on
ibmnet.os2.beta or comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip. Notices of new beta
versions and other news will be posted here.

The WebExplorer beta will also run on OS/2 2.1 with IBM TCP/IP V2.0
for OS/2 if you have the latest CSD (Corrective Service Diskettes)
applied. The latest CSD is UN64092 and is available via anonymous ftp
to software.watson.ibm.com in the /pub/tcpip/os2 directory.

The WebExplorer has excellent internal viewers for GIF and JPEG image
files. If you select to not use the internal viewers WebExplorer is
pre-configured to use the viewers shipped in Warp in the Bonus Pack.
The Warp viewers have support for .au audio files, but the image
viewer does not support JPEG.

John Ruiz
OS/2 TCP/IP Development jr...@vnet.ibm.com
Dave Tholen moderator for comp.os.os2.announce
Institute for Astronomy Internet: tho...@newton.ifa.hawaii.edu
2680 Woodlawn Drive
Honolulu, HI 96822 Astronewsbyte: Geminid meteor shower December 14

David D'Antonio

Nov 29, 1994, 7:09:00 PM11/29/94
In article <3b6ge8$r...@Mars.mcs.com>, hu...@mcs.com says...

>Followups redirected to comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
>
>ai...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Tariq Ahmed) writes:
>> The internet service provider I'm with uses an Annex server, IE,
>>I type in SLIP, and it tells me my IP address for that session, it's not
>>static. And I want to enter the username and pw, not the slip software.
>> Suggestions? Are there alternatives?
>
>You could probably dial in with any standard terminal program (such as
>LiveWire, HyperAccess, Telix, etc.), log in, start SLIP, and exit.
>Then use 'bootp sl0' so the local address can be received from the
>server.
>
>I use SLIPPM myself, with a script.

Take a look at the annex script/response file (I'm not sure which) which
does pretty much what you want. You'll have to customize it for the

> I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our main weapon is fear. Fear
and Surprise...

> hu...@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu

DDA

--
David D'Antonio, CNE (dant...@process.com)
Some they do and some they don't and some ya just can't tell

Jim Brain

Dec 2, 1994, 3:55:51 PM12/2/94
In article <1994Nov29....@process.com>,

dant...@process.com (David D'Antonio) wrote:
> In article <3b6ge8$r...@Mars.mcs.com>, hu...@mcs.com says...
> >
> >Followups redirected to comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
> >
> >ai...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Tariq Ahmed) writes:
> >> The internet service provider I'm with uses an Annex server, IE,
> >>I type in SLIP, and it tells me my IP address for that session, it's not
> >>static. And I want to enter the username and pw, not the slip software.
> >> Suggestions? Are there alternatives?
> >
> >You could probably dial in with any standard terminal program (such as
> >LiveWire, HyperAccess, Telix, etc.), log in, start SLIP, and exit.
> >Then use 'bootp sl0' so the local address can be received from the
> >server.
> >
> >I use SLIPPM myself, with a script.

I have a REXX script for slip or slipPM that will dial provider from 1-20
numbers, log in, type slip, and grab internet address.

It is just a customize of the annex.cmd file in Warp (formerly from OS/2
TCPIP for OS/2 2.0.

Want it here or in email?

nyone want me to show them how to do this. My script is pretty complex, but
makes the connection trivial under slip or slippm.

Jim

--
Jim Brain, Embedded Systems Designer, Brain Innovations.
br...@msen.com

Kjell Wooding

Dec 5, 1994, 5:31:38 AM12/5/94
In message <1994Nov29....@process.com> - dant...@process.com (David D'A

ntonio) writes:
>>I use SLIPPM myself, with a script.
>
>Take a look at the annex script/response file (I'm not sure which) which
>does pretty much what you want. You'll have to customize it for the

You want ANNEX.CMD (a REXX script). Spend a few minutes reading the
help file if you;re unfamiliar with REXX. Basically, you will pass
the script your username, password, and the phone number. You will
likely have to make minor modifications to the script to expect the
prompts that your service provider gives. These should all be fairly
straightforward.

-kj
kwoo...@engr.uvic.ca