magic cookie exchange without authorization dialog box?

Philip Greenspun

Jul 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/9/95

Is it possible to make a Web browser automatically pick up a magic
cookie from the server upon entry to a site and keep serving it back up
with every subsequent request WITHOUT having to hit the user with an
obnoxious "please log in" authorization box?

Thanks,
--

-- Philip Greenspun

MIT Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
545 Technology Square, Rm 609, Cambridge, MA 02139, (617) 253-8574
Personal Web URL: http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/philg/

Christian Borup

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
ph...@rolex.ai.mit.edu (Philip Greenspun) wrote:

>Is it possible to make a Web browser automatically pick up a magic
>cookie from the server upon entry to a site and keep serving it back up
>with every subsequent request WITHOUT having to hit the user with an
>obnoxious "please log in" authorization box?

Well, Netscape 1.1N has this feature - called HTTP Cookies.

take a look at http://home.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html for more
information.

However, I don't think any other cliente support this feature. Too bad really.

Yours
Borup