What to do if your Provider goes down without a clue...?

Jan Theodore Galkowski

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
My Web hosting provider went down without a clue over the last
weekend. I have pinged the server, and am able to get responses back
from both his home site and my own account. FTP access to my account
says the connection is refused. If I browse to my site, it says
connected, but then dies with a "503" error code. If I browse to
the Provider's site, it refuses to connect.

I checked Network Solutions, and found the phone numbers for both
the administration and technical support. Calling the administrative
number results in a "This is an invalid number, please look up the
number and try again", and calling the technical support number
results in a busy signal.

I have sent e-mail to both administrative and technical support
domains. Neither e-mail bounces, but there is no reply.

As a last resort, I looked up a competitor of the same in the
same city, asking if they knew anything about their going out
of business or some legal troubles. Thusfar, all I have is
silence.

I would think nothing of pulling up stakes and moving except:

(1) I need to notify the service I am cancelling so I
won't owe funds for unavailable service. I'm not sure
how I do that. I'd send registered snailmail, but
the addresses are P.O. boxes, so won't work.

(2) I have a domain name registered to point into their
IP space. I'm not sure how to change it to someone
else's. I suppose I could leave that for my new
hosting provider.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks. Really bothers me as
I researched the options thoroughly and this Provider looked
good. I imagine any small business takes these risks.

Jan Theodore Galkowski °o° (:-)} demio...@smalltalk.org
algebraist.com/ www.marsociety.org/ jtgal...@alum.mit.edu
PGP fingerprint: 2757 F86D AA51 677D 38D7 964B 9A8D 7852 A494 3790

Copper Davidson

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
See inserts below.

"Jan Theodore Galkowski" <demio...@smalltalk.org> wrote in message news:38
E01426....@smalltalk.org...

> My Web hosting provider went down without a clue over the last
> weekend. I have pinged the server, and am able to get responses back
> from both his home site and my own account. FTP access to my account
> says the connection is refused. If I browse to my site, it says
> connected, but then dies with a "503" error code. If I browse to
> the Provider's site, it refuses to connect.
>
> I checked Network Solutions, and found the phone numbers for both
> the administration and technical support. Calling the administrative
> number results in a "This is an invalid number, please look up the
> number and try again",

Insert: Check with your phone company information if there is a new number.

and calling the technical support number
> results in a busy signal.

Insert: Keep calling periodically, if they have a server problem they are go
ing to be very busy answering calls

> I have sent e-mail to both administrative and technical support
> domains. Neither e-mail bounces, but there is no reply.

Insert: Set you E-mail for verification of the mail being read.

> As a last resort, I looked up a competitor of the same in the
> same city, asking if they knew anything about their going out
> of business or some legal troubles. Thusfar, all I have is
> silence.

Insert: The competitor may be sued if they give you that information.

> I would think nothing of pulling up stakes and moving except:
>
> (1) I need to notify the service I am cancelling so I
> won't owe funds for unavailable service. I'm not sure
> how I do that. I'd send registered snailmail, but
> the addresses are P.O. boxes, so won't work.
>
> (2) I have a domain name registered to point into their
> IP space. I'm not sure how to change it to someone
> else's. I suppose I could leave that for my new
> hosting provider.

Insert: Contact me if your problem is not resolved.

http://www.davidsoncomp.com

> Any ideas appreciated. Thanks. Really bothers me as
> I researched the options thoroughly and this Provider looked
> good. I imagine any small business takes these risks.

Insert: Give them another few days to resolve their problems.

> --
> Jan Theodore Galkowski °o° (:-)} demio...@smalltalk.org
> algebraist.com/ www.marsociety.org/ jtgal...@alum.mit.edu
> PGP fingerprint: 2757 F86D AA51 677D 38D7 964B 9A8D 7852 A494 3790

Louis.