Apache queries

MAASK Group

Oct 3, 2002, 7:22:04 AM10/3/02

We wanted to know the working (shared memory related) of Apache
server... as in at the lower level, what type of shared memory does it
use? like clone(), pthread_create(), mmap() or shmget()???
Also where could we get the source code of Apache server?

Thanks & regards,
MAASK (maya, asmita, anu, snehal & krushna)

Jon Bell

Oct 3, 2002, 11:13:19 AM10/3/02
In article <891d79c5.02100...@posting.google.com>,

<http://www.apache.org/>

--
Jon Bell <jtbe...@presby.edu> Presbyterian College

Tom Harrington

Oct 4, 2002, 10:57:56 AM10/4/02
maask...@hotmail.com (MAASK Group) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We wanted to know the working (shared memory related) of Apache
> server... as in at the lower level, what type of shared memory does it
> use? like clone(), pthread_create(), mmap() or shmget()???

The last time I looked at the Apache source code, it didn't use very
much shared memory, at least on Unix and similar systems. It operates
on a scheme of multiple independent processes with their own memory
space. Shared memory is used only for the "scoreboard", which keeps
track of the various processes and their state.

The shared-mem portions of the code were also the most complicated, at
least from a preprocessor point of view. There were at the time about
eight different implementations, one of which would be selected based on
what was available on the target platform. So the answer to your
question is "yes", it uses those types of shared memory, but to get a
more-specific answer you need to look at the source code. Or at least
try running "nm" against a compiled copy to see what's there.

<http://httpd.apache.org/>

--
Tom Harrington, tph (at) pcisys (dot) net
"And you may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?"