bad experience with Verio ISP -- canceling account, refund

Tomoyuki Tanaka

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00

http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=568917199
> Author: cliff <c.en...@att.net>
> Date: 2000/01/06
> Forum: ba.internet
> [...]
>
> Verio???????
>
> I dropped them a year ago for the same reasons that
> have been discussed to death in this group.

i wish i heard known about Verio's reputation
*before* i decided to give Verio a try.

there are lots of people complaining on the net.

but knowing Verio is screwing everyone (not just me) makes
me feel better in a way, because that means it's not all my
fault ... i'm not especially gullible, etc.

http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=578815045

Subject: Farewell Verio, You left me unpleasant experience
Author: Tao <t...@wwa.com>
Date: 2000/01/28
Forum: verio.il.general

http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=571276568

Subject: Verio = Terrible customer service
Author: xverio <xve...@my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/01/11
Forum: alt.verio

[...]
* DO NOT, UNDER ANY CONDITIONS, USE VERIO AS YOUR ISP *
Here's why:
[...]

what is <alt.verio.recovery> for?

In article <g97kODH+nVfMlP...@4ax.com>,
<inal...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Am I the only one having huge problems with best.com (verio)?
>Here is my story:

i've been having a very bad experience with Verio.

i think my story is more similar to the person whose complaint
is attached below.

my story:
after i told Verio to cancel my account, Verio kept
charging my credit card.

when i called to compliain, a Verio person said that
he will check to make sure i did not use any Verio
services for those subsequent month(s) and then give
me a refund.

they haven't given me a refund so i recently called
to complain again.

THIS TIME, another Verio person tells me that Verio
keeps no records of who used how much services at what
times, etc
(which seems like a foolish idea regarding
tracking/discouraging abuse, hacking, etc)

so that Verio can't technically check my use or non-use,
and Verio refuses to give me a refund.

are there other people having similar problems with Verio?

http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=554684578

Verio: fraudulent use of credit cards

Author: Rob Gendreau <ro...@pacnospambell.net>
Date: 1999/11/29
Forum: ba.internet

I've had a very alarming experience with Verio and the use
of credit cards. Despite explicit written instructions to
cancel an account, and that they no longer had authorization
to charge the card, they have continued to do so, weeks later.
It'll force me to cancel that number and start a new card.
And I have to file a dispute with my credit card company,
which takes months to resolve.

I'm not normally the sort of person who flames wildly here
in the news, but I don't think I'm being too strong in calling
this fraud, or an intentional use of a credit card account
they had no authorization to use.

Check it out: to cancel, you can't contact a live body, you
have to send an email or fax to some automated number or
address. You get an automated response. You don't have a live
body or address you can get to. And, of course, it doesn't work.

I'm a cyncial lawyer and I can't help but think that a lot
of unsuspecting former Verio clients wind up with charges
that are unauthorized. Nationally, this method of cancelling
could add up to a lot of bucks. Can you spell class action?
Anyone else had this experience?

--
Rob Gendreau in Oakland, California
Remove nospam to email me: ro...@pacnospambell.net