[CM] Two ways Vint Cerf would re-do the WWW

RS Wood

Oct 6, 2016, 8:42:51 PM10/6/16
From the «fewer trolls and asshats» department:
Title: Vint Cerf's Dream Do-Over: 2 Ways He'd Make the Internet Different
Author: janrinok
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 20:04:00 -0400
Link: https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=16/09/24/1335230&from=rss

Arthur T Knackerbracket[1] has found the following story[2]:

Vint Cerf is considered a father of the internet, but that doesn't mean there
aren't things he would do differently if given a fresh chance to create it
all over again.

"If I could have justified it, putting in a 128-bit address space would have
been nice so we wouldn't have to go through this painful, 20-year process of
going from IPv4 to IPv6," Cerf told an audience of journalists Thursday
during a press conference at the Heidelberg Laureate Forum in Germany.

IPv4, the first publicly used version of the Internet Protocol, included an
addressing system that used 32-bit numerical identifiers. It soon became
apparent that it would lead to an exhaustion of addresses, however, spurring
the creation of IPv6 as a replacement. Roughly a year ago, North America
officially ran out[3] of new addresses based on IPv4.

For security, public key cryptography[4] is another thing Cerf would like to
have added, had it been feasible.

Trouble is, neither idea is likely to have made it into the final result at
the time. "I doubt I could have gotten away with either one," said Cerf, who
won a Turing Award in 2004 and is now vice president and chief internet
evangelist at Google. "So today we have to retrofit."

Original Submission[5]

Read more of this story[6] at SoylentNews.

Links:
[1]: http://soylentnews.org/~Arthur+T+Knackerbracket/ (link)
[2]: http://www.computerworld.com/article/3123540/internet/vint-cerfs-dream-do-over-2-ways-hed-make-the-internet-different.html (link)
[3]: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2986332/internet/north-america-has-used-up-its-new-ipv4-addresses.html (link)