Re: URL redirection question

Ivan Shmakov

Jun 29, 2017, 2:33:46 PM6/29/17

[Cross-posting to news:comp.infosystems.www.misc, for reasons.]

>> I just got a bill on my phone, which said "To pay this bill - go to
>> www.<whatever>" . When I went to the site - it said stuff like
>> "Welcome Mr. John Doe", ie. it *knew from the URL* that it was me!
>> I'm kind of trying to figure out how this was architected - can you
>> guys help? :)

>> MY brain suggested something like this: whatever was after the "/"
>> in the URL (something like e2gbm853dc or whatever) was an ARGUMENT -
>> when someone types that in to the browser, it redirects to
>> script.php (or whatever) on the server with THAT string as the
>> argument. Which, by querying for that row in a SQL database or
>> something, brings up my name in the company's database..... am I on
>> the right track here?

> Yes, that's basically how it works. Webservers typically use rewrite
> rules to move path components to script parameters, so a URL like:

> https://www.example.com/paybill/e2gbm853dc

> could be translated to:

> https://www.example.com/paybill.php?id=e2gbm853dc

> and then the script does the database lookup to find you.

Or the Web server could be configured so that whenever it sees a
URI starting with "/paybill", it starts (or contacts, for
FastCGI) the script, which then has access to either the
original URI in its entirety, or at least the part after the
script's name.

I'm pretty sure that configuring Apache in such a way may be a
matter of a couple of lines. (Like SetHandler, etc.)

--
FSF associate member #7257 np. Most Wonderful of Nights -- Aftermath

Eli the Bearded

Jun 29, 2017, 6:31:50 PM6/29/17
In comp.infosystems.www.misc, Ivan Shmakov <iv...@siamics.net> wrote:
> [Cross-posting to news:comp.infosystems.www.misc, for reasons.]

Hellow from ciwm!

> > Yes, that's basically how it works. Webservers typically use rewrite
> > rules to move path components to script parameters, so a URL like:
> > https://www.example.com/paybill/e2gbm853dc
> > could be translated to:
> > https://www.example.com/paybill.php?id=e2gbm853dc

That sounds like such an old-fashioned way to do it. Why bother with a
rewrite when you can just use the original?

> Or the Web server could be configured so that whenever it sees a
> URI starting with "/paybill", it starts (or contacts, for
> FastCGI) the script, which then has access to either the
> original URI in its entirety, or at least the part after the
> script's name.

In modern web frameworks, the local part of the URL (the URI) is called
a "route" and the routing table in the framework is consulted. Consider
Ruby on Rails:

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/routing.html

The very first example is relevant here. Some other frameworks might
solve this by having the server always return the same page for all of
/paybill/*, and a javascript routing table examine the URL and look up
the content to fill in to the page. For example, Ember:

https://guides.emberjs.com/v2.12.0/routing/defining-your-routes/

Look at the Dynamic Routes section.

Elijah
------
the wab has so many ways to ensnare you now