edbrowse, anyone?

Ivan Shmakov

Jul 15, 2018, 5:05:32 AM7/15/18
[Cross-posting to news:comp.infosystems.www.misc, for it's ought
to be on-topic there, but omitting from Followup-To:, as that
group doesn't seem to be active.]

It was brought to my attention that the Edbrowse article is
considered for deletion at Wikipedia. Again. [1]

So, I've tried to look up for possible sources that can be
referenced (for verifiability's sake, if not notability proper),
but there seem to be virtually none to be found.

Which is rather surprising, given that I've got an impression
that it's about the only Web browser with JavaScript support
that can be sanely operated by a blind user. (To quote the
Wikipedia article, a section of it I'm unsure truly belongs there,
"A sighted user quickly locates items on the screen by moving
his eyes, but the efficiency and speed of this visual interface
is lost when those eye movements are replaced with a mouse
and a screen reader.") Or are there indeed better alternatives?

(Or did my Web search fail to yield some valuable and relevant
pointers?)

Personally, I'm using Lynx for way over a decade, and find it
about perfect for casual Web reading. However, I'm also
interested in JavaScript support, mainly for two reasons:

* JavaScript is the new BASIC; you write a program in JavaScript,
and it runs pretty much anywhere; I've tried to employ that
for education purposes (say, [2]), although didn't progress
much on that, in no small part "thanks" to Firefox being the
unwieldy monstrosity it is;

* various sites tend to require JavaScript support for
contributing, and "ecommerce" is virtually inseparable from it.

Hence is my recent interest in Edbrowse. I hope to check the
version in Debian testing soon, and if it lets me pay my bills,
Firefox will have one less use case for me. (The other being
typesetting, where Edbrowse wouldn't be able to compete, alas.)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org
/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Edbrowse_(2nd_nomination)
(URI split for netiquette.)
[2] Runge-Kutta-based RLC model example.
URI: http://am-1.org/~ivan/src/sdhLKYUM.xhtml

--
FSF associate member #7257 http://am-1.org/~ivan/

Eli the Bearded

Jul 17, 2018, 8:17:19 PM7/17/18
In comp.infosystems.www.misc, Ivan Shmakov <iv...@siamics.net> wrote:
> [Cross-posting to news:comp.infosystems.www.misc, for it's ought
> to be on-topic there, but omitting from Followup-To:, as that
> group doesn't seem to be active.]

Doesn't mean it doesn't have readers.

> It was brought to my attention that the Edbrowse article is
> considered for deletion at Wikipedia. Again. [1]

I put in my vote for keep.

> Personally, I'm using Lynx for way over a decade, and find it
> about perfect for casual Web reading.

I use it reasonably often, but it's far from perfect. Woe betide you
if you need to read actual tabular data in Lynx.

> Hence is my recent interest in Edbrowse. I hope to check the
> version in Debian testing soon, and if it lets me pay my bills,
> Firefox will have one less use case for me. (The other being
> typesetting, where Edbrowse wouldn't be able to compete, alas.)

You can typeset just fine in edbrowse. Just make sure it's a text-based
system like [ntg]roff or tex.

> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org
> /wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Edbrowse_(2nd_nomination)
> (URI split for netiquette.)

Personally, I'd rather a long line for long URLs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Edbrowse_(2nd_nomination)

I can double-click those, even when they wrap, and select the whole URL.
YMMV.

Elijah
------
doesn't think his vote for keep will be enough