ftp login

John Bowling

Oct 18, 2003, 2:08:02 AM10/18/03
Why do IE 6, Konqueror, and Mozilla all insist on using "anonymous" as the
ONLY username when loging into an ftp site? The site refuses an "anonymous"
username, yet NONE of these browsers allow me to access it with anything
else but!!!!

It worked in the past with IE before some recent 'security' updates.

Nisha Mathew

Oct 18, 2003, 10:25:32 AM10/18/03
"John Bowling" <johnlb200...@cox.net> wrote in message news:<zM4kb.70498$vj2.2817@fed1read06>...

Because then the servers can serve many people. i.e. public servers
normally do have "anonymous" username and passwords. It is possible
that the security update changed some configuration so as to not
accept incoming FTP connections OR the site itself stopped "anonymous"
logons.

Nisha

John Bowling

Oct 19, 2003, 4:34:50 AM10/19/03
"Nisha Mathew" <n.ma...@sxu.edu> wrote in message

You did not get what I was saying. They ONLY allow 'ananymous' login and no
other username! I'm trying to get stats data from my webpage that is set up
with a specific login name and password. I know the login name and password
and CANNOT enter them!

So I MUST be allowed to enter a login name and password and NOT be forced
into something that someone ass-u-me-d would be the only use. (That
pronounciation of the word is extreamly accurate in this case!)

About 6 months ago, prior to recent 'security' upgrades to IE 6, I was able
to log into the ftp page properly.
That's why I tried the other browsers and ran into the same stupidity!

And I do NOT want this server to serve others. Is it not their business to
know anything that is there!

John