Probs w/Browser viewing of my sites

NWB

Nov 13, 2003, 1:03:59 PM11/13/03
I'm writing HTML in Notepad. The sites work fine in Internet Explorer
on a PC, and in Netscape on a Mac, but don't run in Explorer on a Mac,
or Netscape 6.1 on a PC. I've checked the coding, and tried it on a
number of different computers at the college- opening the pages on
PC's both from disk and on the server, and on Macs from the server
only. It doesn't seem to matter what tags I use, even plain pages-
w/out images, links, frames, or tables don't run. I get either the
coding displayed in the browser, w/a weird symbol added in front " яю
", or, the symbol, then the code, interspaced w/plus signs and other
symbols. When I view the source, the same thing appears, though most
of the symbols are those spacing squares. I am working toward a carrer
in web design, but this problem is raising second thoughts. HELP!!

Allen Windhorn

Nov 13, 2003, 2:09:41 PM11/13/03
nbea...@cs.clark.edu (NWB) writes:

> I'm writing HTML in Notepad. The sites work fine in Internet Explorer
> on a PC, and in Netscape on a Mac, but don't run in Explorer on a Mac,

> or Netscape 6.1 on a PC...

There are some web sites that will check your code and provide a
critique. I can look through my notes if you can't find them. You
might post a bit of your code for people to look at.

Make sure it's really Notepad and not Wordpad. Maybe extraneous bytes
are getting into the code somehow.

Allen

NWB

Nov 13, 2003, 9:17:10 PM11/13/03
It is definitely Notepad. Funny thing is, I tried out FastPage, and
sites built in it work just fine. Maybe I can run the coding from all
of my other sites through FastPage to clean them up somehow.

Here's a bit of my problem code:

http://cs.clark.edu/~nbeat1152

Lars

Nov 18, 2003, 8:00:22 AM11/18/03
Check the HTML with the W3C validator (http://validator.w3.org/)
That might give some clues.

Myself, I depend a lot on HTML tidy (http://tidy.sourceforge.net/)
to clean up my pages and catch typos or general tagging weirdness.

-Lars

NWB

Nov 19, 2003, 12:49:21 PM11/19/03
Thanks for the link to the HTML tidy site. As for the W3C validator,
that thing is EVIL. Have you ever tried to find a website that passes
their tests?

Lars

Nov 24, 2003, 8:12:31 AM11/24/03
Well, my sites pass their tests. ;)

It is rather strict, but it's one of the best way's to increase
the odds that any browser now or in the foreseeable near future
can use the page. Of the two, I use Tidy the most and usually
only try the W3C validator during the late beta phase.

If you have Dreamweaver or Xmetal, there are built-in validators
which is much faster than calling one via the net. Some other
site editors may also have them.

-Lars

NWB

Nov 24, 2003, 7:00:53 PM11/24/03
I finally figured out the problem. I've been saving the code as
Unicode, as my instructor told me {at least, I think he did}. When I
when back and saved everything as ANSI, it worked. A rather simple
fix, but the last thing I thought to check.
Thanks for the help.