Chatframe 0.9, Vaporware Edition

Basil White

May 18, 2004, 7:07:19 PM5/18/04
The message below is excerpted from a "code challenge" I sent to some
of my IA colleagues in the DC area. A few of them thought I should
share it here, so here goes.

=======================

I'd like you to help me imagine a web tool that allows open chat by
everyone using the tool who are at the same URL. Changes in the main
URL would redirect the "chat room" parameter of the tool to the new
URL.

Potential returns:

- people can share advice and commentary about a single URL.

- web designers can read open commentary about the usability
expectations about their site, sorted by page.

- firms can read commentary about competitors' websites.

- human web assistants can lead other users through websites to get
what they want.

Everybody wins.

This could be added to a third-party tool like the Google or Yahoo!
toolbar or be provided as a stand-alone resource similar to an Instant
Messaging application. Because of the usability returns of this
resource, grant funding could be available through:

Usability Professionals Association Board of Directors, Merit Grants
Program http://usabilityprofessionals.org/chapters/grant_guidelines.html

National Science Foundation | Division of Information and Intelligent
Systems Digital Government (DigitalGov) Program
http://search.nsf.gov/search?ie=&site=nsf&output=xml_no_dtd&client=nsf&lr=&proxystylesheet=nsf&oe=&q=DigitalGov

National Library of Medicine Integrated Advanced Information
Management Systems (IAIMS) Grants
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/factsheets/iaims.html

Please share your thoughts (READ: REPLY TO ALL) and I'll keep the
notes together for anyone who'd like to appeal for time, money or
resources for this.

Thanks,
Basil White
Information Architect
(202) 273-8029
basilwhite@ b a si l w hite dot co m
Any statements or opinions are those of the authors alone. Any
similarity to opinions or statements of anyone or anything else is
purely coincidental.