Re: Iceweasel won't browse cnet.com

Mark Hobley

Apr 29, 2011, 9:05:24 AM4/29/11
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 13:59:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> There is no 'text mode' for HTML anyway that I know of. Or rather its
> all text mode, with pictures and styles being added. If the pictures and
> styles are gone, that's probably because the styles and images cant be
> found.

I switch off stylesheets manually sometimes for one reason or another, and I
have notices that pictures do disappear from some websites, even though I can
display them by typing their address into the address bar.

I know that the early browsers never used to make pictures disappear like
this, so it is due to a code change made in the browser at some point in
time. Pictures should still display with the stylesheet gone, so there are
some bugs in the browser in this area.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

Eli the Bearded

Apr 29, 2011, 6:49:14 PM4/29/11
In comp.os.linux.misc,

Mark Hobley <markh...@yahoo.donottypethisbit.co> wrote:
> I switch off stylesheets manually sometimes for one reason or another, and I
> have notices that pictures do disappear from some websites, even though I can
> display them by typing their address into the address bar.

Images that are just style (such as backgrounds and other fillers)
can and should be loaded via style sheets.

See for example the CSS Zen Garden:

http://www.csszengarden.com/

Every image is from the style sheet. And the site supports loading in
user-designed style sheets to show you how radically the page can be
changed in CSS. Understand it and become enlightened.

> I know that the early browsers never used to make pictures disappear like
> this, so it is due to a code change made in the browser at some point in
> time. Pictures should still display with the stylesheet gone, so there are
> some bugs in the browser in this area.

For some reason or another some sites may be unusable without style
sheets loaded. Sometimes this is carelessness, and sometimes malice. But
that's a site bug, not a browser bug.

Elijah
------
had his "web 1990" css design rejected by the CSS Zen Garden people