konqueror: jumps to google, when trying to sign in to website

Mark Hobley

Apr 24, 2010, 12:59:46 PM4/24/10
The konqueror browser sometimes jumps to the google website, as I am browsing
the internet. This typically occurs if I click a signup or login button on the
website, and is occuring on several websites.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

Michael Black

Apr 24, 2010, 1:40:49 PM4/24/10
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Mark Hobley wrote:

> The konqueror browser sometimes jumps to the google website, as I am browsing
> the internet. This typically occurs if I click a signup or login button on the
> website, and is occuring on several websites.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?

I don't use Konqueror, but sometimes when I'm using SeaMonkey, I guess
that's what I'm using is called, I end up at google if I put in a bad
URL or something. It seems configured to do a websearch under some
conditions, I've not paid full attention so I'm vague.

But I guess that's not your problem.

I notice that sometimes when I go to comment at a blog, something related
to gmail appears, the meaning being that I could log on using a gmail
account. There seems to be other instances of that, a cross-pollination
allowing for wideer use without having to register for every little thing.
Is that what you're seeing?

Michael

Mark Hobley

Apr 24, 2010, 7:06:37 PM4/24/10
In comp.os.linux.misc Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
> I end up at google if I put in a bad URL or something.
> But I guess that's not your problem.

Yeah, that is a different scenario. I use Mozilla based browsers too, so I
am familiar with how those browsers perform. The problem that I am
experiencing in konqueror is somewhat different. If I click on a login or
signup button on a website, the browser sometimes jumps to a google page.

The same website works just fine using a Mozilla based browser, and the jump
to google does not occur.

I am going to test some other browsers.

I am hoping to migrate away from Mozilla based browsers, because the latest
versions have huge delays implemented, causing the browser to pause for
several seconds between operations.

I initially chose konqueror, because it uses a different layout engine
(webkit). However konqueror has some horrible problems such as copy and
paste bugs, this jump to google problem, problems with text selection, and a
problem disabling stylesheets.

I develop lots of web based documentation, and Mozilla Composer was my
favourite web page editing tool. However, this seems to becoming more and
more broken as time goes by, I guess due to its close ties with the browser
to which it is attached.

I have tried kompozer as a replacement (which is also buggy). It retains
some of the look and feel of Mozilla Composer, and is the closest equivalent
that I could find. I am now looking for a nice browser to go with it.

I also copy and paste between different applications, because my documents
are initally developed in other formats before being frozen as HTML pages.

> I notice that sometimes when I go to comment at a blog, something related
> to gmail appears, the meaning being that I could log on using a gmail
> account. There seems to be other instances of that, a cross-pollination
> allowing for wideer use without having to register for every little thing.
> Is that what you're seeing?

No. I don't think so. I don't use gmail here, and these websites have their
own login mechanisms.