List of "about:" URLs in Netscape 3.01

Richard Lloyd

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

Using "strings -a netscape", I've extracted a list of the about: URLs in
UNIX Netscape 3.01 (these may or may not exist on the PC and Mac versions):

URL Description
-------------------------------
about: Help -> About Netscape page
about:authors Displays "about:authors removed"
about:blank Blank page
about:cache Disk cache statistics
about:document View -> Document Info window
about:editfilenew File -> New Document -> Blank window (Navigator Gold only)
about:global Global history entries
about:hype Plays sound sample: "What IS global hypermedia ?"
about:image-cache Image cache statistics
about:license License agreement (license link in Help -> About Netscape)
about:memory-cache Memory cache
about:plugins Help -> About Plug-ins page
about:security Needs extra parameters:
?banner-insecure displays a broken key GIF
?banner-mixed displays a broken key GIF with a background
?banner-payment displays secure payment banner GIF

I don't know about you, but I think that the disk, memory and history info
is actually *useful* and really should be provided as normal user menu
options, rather than obscure about: URLs.

Richard K. Lloyd, E-mail: r...@csc.liv.ac.uk
Connect, WWW: http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~rkl/
5-31, Great Newton St,
Liverpool University,
Merseyside, UK. L69 3BX

Christian Henry

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

In article <E1H6M...@csc.liv.ac.uk>, Richard Lloyd <r...@csc.liv.ac.uk> wrote:
>Using "strings -a netscape", I've extracted a list of the about: URLs in
>UNIX Netscape 3.01 (these may or may not exist on the PC and Mac versions):
>
>URL Description
>-------------------------------
>about: Help -> About Netscape page
>about:authors Displays "about:authors removed"
>about:blank Blank page
>about:cache Disk cache statistics
>about:document View -> Document Info window
>about:editfilenew File -> New Document -> Blank window (Navigator Gold only)
>about:global Global history entries
>about:hype Plays sound sample: "What IS global hypermedia ?"
>about:image-cache Image cache statistics
>about:license License agreement (license link in Help -> About Netscape)
>about:memory-cache Memory cache
>about:plugins Help -> About Plug-ins page
>about:security Needs extra parameters:
> ?banner-insecure displays a broken key GIF
> ?banner-mixed displays a broken key GIF with a background
> ?banner-payment displays secure payment banner GIF

You missed two which won't show up using this method:

about:jwz Gives information about Jamie Zawinski; click on any of
his links and the animated Netscape icon will become an
animated compass icon.
about:mozilla Gives an amusing biblical-style message and, even more
amusing, any URL you access from now on will show an
animated, fire-breathing Mozilla in place of the normal
animated Netscape icon.