Opera- Great until . . .

Leonard Grossman

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96

I tried Opera for the first time today. It blew me away. I suspect
after a few more days I may simply recover the 12 meg or so I have
wasted in my Netscape directories.

But first:

So far everything I have tried works except when I try to
load http://oprf.com/arts/

It begins to load, gets to 3 kb and then hangs.

This page loads without problems under Netscape. It is a frames
page.

Suggestions please.

Len

Leonard Grossman
gros...@mcs.net
Reflections of a ModemJunkie -- <http://www.mcs.net/~grossman/>
The Gropper Windows--<http://www.mcs.net/~grossman/gropper.htm>

Warren Steel

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96
to Leonard Grossman

Leonard Grossman wrote:
> I tried Opera for the first time today. It blew me away. I suspect
> after a few more days I may simply recover the 12 meg or so I have
> wasted in my Netscape directories.
> So far everything I have tried works except when I try to
> load http://oprf.com/arts/
> It begins to load, gets to 3 kb and then hangs.

You didn't say what platform or what WINSOCK you're using.
I've tried Opera and recommended it here, but some users report
troubles with Trumpet Winsock. Others use the two fine together.
Occasionally, a page will, as you say, Hang. The status
indicator shows text loading, but no images. I can generally
"prime" it into loading by hitting the G key (or the camera
icon) once or twice. Opera has acknowledged the problem (which
can be quite aggravating for Win3.1 users), and they are working
on it.

--
Warren Steel mu...@olemiss.edu
Department of Music University of Mississippi

Leonard Grossman

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

In article <3298F3...@olemiss.edu>,

Warren Steel <mu...@olemiss.edu> wrote:
>Leonard Grossman wrote:
>> I tried Opera for the first time today. It blew me away. I
suspect
>> after a few more days I may simply recover the 12 meg or so I
have
>> wasted in my Netscape directories.
>> So far everything I have tried works except when I try to
>> load http://oprf.com/arts/
>> It begins to load, gets to 3 kb and then hangs.
>
> You didn't say what platform or what WINSOCK you're using.
>I've tried Opera and recommended it here, but some users report
>troubles with Trumpet Winsock. Others use the two fine together.
>Occasionally, a page will, as you say, Hang. The status
>indicator shows text loading, but no images. I can generally
>"prime" it into loading by hitting the G key (or the camera
>icon) once or twice. Opera has acknowledged the problem (which
>can be quite aggravating for Win3.1 users), and they are working
>on it.

In fact, I am running Windows for Workgroups and (you guessed
it)Trumpet Winsock.

I tried toggling the image loading feature. It seemed to load a
couple of more k. But no images and no text.

Ann

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

Leonard Grossman <gros...@mcs.com> wrote
:
: It begins to load, gets to 3 kb and then hangs.
:
Loads ok in IE3 too

Warren Steel

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

fr...@msn.com wrote:

> [...problems with opera at http://oprf.com/arts/...]

I had problems, too. It's an *awful* page anyway, with
far too many frames, and with 8-bit cruft inserted within
FRAMESET but not in FRAME or NOFRAMES, so I guess
it's a problem of "error recovery." Perhaps you'll report
it to Opera support.

I loaded the page, cruft and all, with frames disabled.
As for the Trumpet Winsock problem, I have word only
that they're working on it, and that it's intermittent.

Warren Steel mu...@olemiss.edu
Department of Music University of Mississippi

http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/~mudws/

F. B.

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

On Sun, 24 Nov 1996 19:17:16 -0600, Warren Steel <mu...@olemiss.edu>
wrote:

[...problems with opera at http://oprf.com/arts/...]

I have the same problem in a test with opera and http://oprf.com/arts/
(Netscape 3.01 - no problem). Sometimes opera is very fast and
sometimes... sloooooww :-((

I use the Opera with 2.1b (32-bit). Is there a way out (another
winsock?)?

Thank you
Frank
fr...@msn.com

Weikko Ikola

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

In article <3298F3...@olemiss.edu> Warren Steel <mu...@olemiss.edu> writes:
>Leonard Grossman wrote:

>> I tried Opera for the first time today. It blew me away. I suspect
>> after a few more days I may simply recover the 12 meg or so I have
>> wasted in my Netscape directories.

>> So far everything I have tried works except when I try to
>> load http://oprf.com/arts/
>> It begins to load, gets to 3 kb and then hangs.

> You didn't say what platform or what WINSOCK you're using.

>I've tried Opera and recommended it here, but some users report
>troubles with Trumpet Winsock. Others use the two fine together.

[znip]
In this case, it's not a Trumpet problem; the same happens with
MS TCP/IP stack.

Greetings,
Wende (weikko...@csc.fi)
| I don't believe in a no-win scenario. |
| - Admiral James T. Kirk |

Dar...@thepentagon.com

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

gros...@mcs.com (Leonard Grossman) wrote:

>I tried Opera for the first time today. It blew me away. I suspect
>after a few more days I may simply recover the 12 meg or so I have
>wasted in my Netscape directories.
>

>But first:

> So far everything I have tried works except when I try to
>load http://oprf.com/arts/
>
>It begins to load, gets to 3 kb and then hangs.
>

>This page loads without problems under Netscape. It is a frames
>page.
>
>Suggestions please.
>

>Len
>

>Leonard Grossman
>gros...@mcs.net
>Reflections of a ModemJunkie -- <http://www.mcs.net/~grossman/>
>The Gropper Windows--<http://www.mcs.net/~grossman/gropper.htm>

Does opera support HTML formatting in email?

LOU

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

wrote:

>Leonard Grossman wrote:
>> I tried Opera for the first time today. It blew me away. I suspect
>> after a few more days I may simply recover the 12 meg or so I have
>> wasted in my Netscape directories.

>> So far everything I have tried works except when I try to
>> load http://oprf.com/arts/
>> It begins to load, gets to 3 kb and then hangs.

I also tried Opera and was impressed at first. Speed? I really can't
tell if it's faster. I liked the option of opening several windows at
once. Until I had four windows open and was browsing back and forth
amongst them for about 25 minutes.

All of a sudden nothing worked except the cursor but it wouldn't do
anything when I clicked. Ctl-Alt-Del said "systems resources
dangerously low". Had to shut down.

Soooo. The feature I liked is useless.

I have 150Pentium 1.2 gig HD and Windows 95. NOT using Trumpet.

This is LOU from America!

Dave Ripberger

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

gros...@mcs.com (Leonard Grossman) wrote:

>I tried Opera for the first time today. It blew me away. I suspect
>after a few more days I may simply recover the 12 meg or so I have
>wasted in my Netscape directories.
>

>But first:

> So far everything I have tried works except when I try to
>load http://oprf.com/arts/
>
>It begins to load, gets to 3 kb and then hangs.
>

>This page loads without problems under Netscape. It is a frames
>page.
>
>Suggestions please.
>
>Len

Opera does not eat memory like Netscape.

I got an "address not found" error on a frame at www.fid-inv.com.
Frames are new for release 2.1. Hopefully kinks will be worked out of
the BETA for the production release. I really like the product and
will be sending them a list of suggestions after I have used it a
while. Anybody know how much time I've got?

Dave

Hume Smith

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

back to the Winsock troubles part of the thread, which now seems to be hiding
in a part of my newsserver WinVN won't read...

i noticed tonight that Opera has some troubles fetching things while other
programs are socket-sucking too. i had MSIE and Opera open at the same time
for awhile, exploring pages in parallel to see how they compared - and Opera
tended to muck up the images. when i shut down MSIE, Opera would get images
just fine. but a little later i fetched mail (with tcl/tk) while loading a
page, and bingo the images were glitchy again.

if i emptied the cache and reloaded the pages (with nothing else using the
network) they loaded fine.

one program which has *not* so collided with Opera (yet) is WinVN
<URL:http://www.ksc.nasa.gov/software/winvn/winvn.html> - which i think is
another of those Winsock programs that almost-but-doesn't-quite work with
Win'95 networking (the connection has a tendency to freeze).

i'll mention that i'm using whatever PPP support came with Windows'95 - NOT
trumpet winsock.

Cliff Roberson

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

Hume Smith (hcls...@tallships.istar.ca) wrote:
: back to the Winsock troubles part of the thread, which now seems to be hiding

I kind of like Opera but am not championing it as an end-all be-all.
I suggest, though, that you consider that MSIE may be the culprit,
rather than Opera. Try running Netscape simultaneously with MSIE. If
it slows down also it indicates that MSIE is a resource glutton. We already
know that it is a disk glutton. We also know that most MS software is
flaky, and all of it is oversized and slow. My experience with that dates
to 1983.
I would try it myself, except after reading all the stuff posted here
about the dreadful things that have happened to people using MSIE, I'd
rather not install it on my machine for several more years, if ever.
Realize that any trailer truck can run over a Ferrari and crush it.
It does not mean that a trailer truck is a superior passenger vehicle.
:)
--
Poltergeists are the basic manifestation of spontaneous material
regeneration.

Dave Ripberger

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

hcls...@tallships.istar.ca (Hume Smith) wrote:

Yes I am having to reload pages for Opera occasionally.

Dave

Hume Smith

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

In article <cliffrE1...@netcom.com>, cli...@netcom.com says...

>Hume Smith (hcls...@tallships.istar.ca) wrote:
>: back to the Winsock troubles part of the thread, which now seems to be
hiding
>: in a part of my newsserver WinVN won't read...
>
>: i noticed tonight that Opera has some troubles fetching things while other
>: programs are socket-sucking too. i had MSIE and Opera open at the same time
>: for awhile, exploring pages in parallel to see how they compared - and Opera
>: tended to muck up the images. when i shut down MSIE, Opera would get images
>: just fine. but a little later i fetched mail (with tcl/tk) while loading a
>: page, and bingo the images were glitchy again.

>I suggest, though, that you consider that MSIE may be the culprit,
>rather than Opera.

hello? i said, i shut down MSIE and it worked fine, then ran something else
that used TCP and wrote to disk at the same time, and Opera glitched again.

it's not MSIE - from the experiments i ran, either simultaneous socket use
messes up Opera's fetching, or simultaneous disk access messes up Opera's cache
writing.

Hume Smith

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

d'oh! i should also have said, it was Opera 2.1b3. so it's something that
deserves to be gone before 2.1 comes out.

Alastair S. Preston

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

On 29 Nov 1996, Hume Smith wrote:

> i noticed tonight that Opera has some troubles fetching things while other
> programs are socket-sucking too. i had MSIE and Opera open at the same time
> for awhile, exploring pages in parallel to see how they compared - and Opera
> tended to muck up the images. when i shut down MSIE, Opera would get images
> just fine. but a little later i fetched mail (with tcl/tk) while loading a
> page, and bingo the images were glitchy again.
>

> if i emptied the cache and reloaded the pages (with nothing else using the
> network) they loaded fine.

I, too, have had trouble with Opera mucking up images, though I was not
at the time using anything else. Scrolling up or down eventually seemed to
clear things up, as did reloading the page. The first few times I used
Opera, I had no trouble - it was only last night that I experienced this
problem. Still, it's so much faster than Netscape, that I can put up with
the occasional glitch. I'm not using trumpet winsock, but one that came
from my ISP (Concentric Net).

jo...@nta.no

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

> In article <3298F3...@olemiss.edu> Warren Steel <mu...@olemiss.edu> writes:
> >Leonard Grossman wrote:
>
> >> I tried Opera for the first time today. It blew me away. I suspect
> >> after a few more days I may simply recover the 12 meg or so I have
> >> wasted in my Netscape directories.
> >> So far everything I have tried works except when I try to
> >> load http://oprf.com/arts/
> >> It begins to load, gets to 3 kb and then hangs.
>
> > You didn't say what platform or what WINSOCK you're using.
> >I've tried Opera and recommended it here, but some users report
> >troubles with Trumpet Winsock. Others use the two fine together.
> [znip]
> In this case, it's not a Trumpet problem; the same happens with
> MS TCP/IP stack.
>
> Greetings,
> Wende (weikko...@csc.fi)
> | I don't believe in a no-win scenario. |
> | - Admiral James T. Kirk |

We have had a close look at this one and the problem is now fixed in
2.1 final coming RSN.

--

Regards/Vennlig hilsen(Kær kvedja/Ciao...

Jon S. von Tetzchner
Opera Software
jo...@nta.no
http://opera.nta.no

Opera - The browser that is made for you.

jo...@nta.no

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

> fr...@msn.com wrote:
>
> > [...problems with opera at http://oprf.com/arts/...]
>
> I had problems, too. It's an *awful* page anyway, with
> far too many frames, and with 8-bit cruft inserted within
> FRAMESET but not in FRAME or NOFRAMES, so I guess
> it's a problem of "error recovery." Perhaps you'll report
> it to Opera support.
>
> I loaded the page, cruft and all, with frames disabled.
> As for the Trumpet Winsock problem, I have word only
> that they're working on it, and that it's intermittent.
>
> Warren Steel mu...@olemiss.edu
> Department of Music University of Mississippi
> http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/~mudws/

Yes, there was a problem with error recovery here,
but it is fixed. All the frames are shown now.

jo...@nta.no

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96