IE ignores text/plain (again)

Andreas Prilop

May 24, 2011, 10:49:09 AM5/24/11
Internet Explorer (v: 6, 7, 8; Windows: 2000, XP, 7)
ignores again "Content-Type: text/plain" as shown by

http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-5.text

In my experience, IE treats the above document as text/html.

By contrast, the document

http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-4.text

is treated as text/plain by all IE versions I could find.

--
In memoriam Alan J. Flavell
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=author:Alan.J.Flavell

Jukka K. Korpela

May 24, 2011, 11:54:25 AM5/24/11
24.5.2011 17:49, Andreas Prilop kirjoitti:

> Internet Explorer (v: 6, 7, 8; Windows: 2000, XP, 7)
> ignores again "Content-Type: text/plain" as shown by
>
> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-5.text

IE 9 (Windows 7) shows it as text/plain, so there's hope.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

May 24, 2011, 2:55:44 PM5/24/11
Andreas Prilop wrote:

> Internet Explorer (v: 6, 7, 8; Windows: 2000, XP, 7)
> ignores again "Content-Type: text/plain" as shown by

Not *again*! (1d/2d)

> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-5.text
>
> In my experience, IE treats the above document as text/html.
>
> By contrast, the document
>
> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-4.text
>
> is treated as text/plain by all IE versions I could find.

AISB (in de.ALL), it is the DOCTYPE switch. The "IE versions" you "could
find" range from being proclaimed dead to out-of-date. There were not meant
to deal with HTML5 pseudo-DOCTYPE declarations. (The funny thing about this
is that it disproves the HTML5 people when they say that `<!DOCTYPE html'
suffices for backwards compatibility.)

No message is that important that it needs to be multi-posted and cross-
posted at approximately the same time. Certainly you could have waited with
multi-posting until you had gotten responses in one top-level hierarchy or
were considerably sure you would not get any there. That is what I would
have done.

See also <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#forum>

I do not think this belongs in ciwb.ms-w. F'up2 ciwa.html.

PointedEars

Jonathan N. Little

May 24, 2011, 6:53:07 PM5/24/11
Andreas Prilop wrote:
> Internet Explorer (v: 6, 7, 8; Windows: 2000, XP, 7)
> ignores again "Content-Type: text/plain" as shown by
>
> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-5.text

IE9 finally gets it right.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

May 24, 2011, 8:11:56 PM5/24/11
In article
<Pine.LNX.4.64.11...@zen.rrzn.uni-hannover.de>,
Andreas Prilop <prilo...@trashmail.net> wrote:

> Internet Explorer (v: 6, 7, 8; Windows: 2000, XP, 7)
> ignores again "Content-Type: text/plain" as shown by
>
> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-5.text
>
> In my experience, IE treats the above document as text/html.
>
> By contrast, the document
>
> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp-4.text
>
> is treated as text/plain by all IE versions I could find.

I should lend you my MacIE5 where both the above are treated as
text/html.

--
dorayme