Advocacy for sites that bar Macintosh browsers ...

delbert

Apr 4, 2005, 9:23:47 AM4/4/05
Does anyone know if the Mozilla Foundation and/or Apple does anything
in this regard ?

I've found a website that my family needs to use, but won't work with
*Any* Macintosh browser. I'm really surprised that a quasi Canadian
Government Insitution would allow this kind of behaviour in 2005.

Any suggestions appreciated on how get to the right people, in order to
have this website changed to be accessible for all browsers. I've
already contacted the webmaster, but he/she wasn't very helpful, and
didn't really appear to know what they were talking about.

For the curious, it's the following URL;
<http://www.ontariocolleges.ca/pls/portal30/url/page/OCAS_Onlineservices_Main>
When one attempts to login OR register with a Macintosh browser, one is
presented with the following info:

"Browser Version
Use Internet Explorer version 5.5 and above
or Netscape Navigator and Communicator version 7.0 and above for
Windows based machines.

Macintosh operating systems are no longer supported. "

Thanks.

--Steve
Toronto

Gnarlodious

Apr 4, 2005, 9:43:13 AM4/4/05
Entity delbert uttered this profundity:

> I've found a website that my family needs to use, but won't work with
> *Any* Macintosh browser.

> <http://www.ontariocolleges.ca/pls/portal30/url/page/OCAS_Onlineservices_Main>

I'm not having any problem with iCab.

-- Gnarlie

Jim Davidson

Apr 4, 2005, 5:10:51 PM4/4/05

Yup. Seems like a ridiculous policy.

If you're running Firefox, try using an extension to change your User
Agent to include Windows.

I don't know whether the server is really doing something that only
works with Windows browsers, or if they don't understand the technology
well enough to know which browsers will work.

Either way, I suggest following up with them on this.

-Jim

Andy Hewitt

Apr 4, 2005, 5:36:01 PM4/4/05
delbert <Stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if the Mozilla Foundation and/or Apple does anything
> in this regard ?
>
> I've found a website that my family needs to use, but won't work with
> *Any* Macintosh browser. I'm really surprised that a quasi Canadian
> Government Insitution would allow this kind of behaviour in 2005.

The Uk jobs search web site has the same problem. No Mac browser works
at all.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

Andy Hewitt

Apr 4, 2005, 6:57:36 PM4/4/05
Jim Davidson <jim.da...@sun.com> wrote:

<Snipped Text>

> Yup. Seems like a ridiculous policy.
>
> If you're running Firefox, try using an extension to change your User
> Agent to include Windows.
>
> I don't know whether the server is really doing something that only
> works with Windows browsers, or if they don't understand the technology
> well enough to know which browsers will work.
>
> Either way, I suggest following up with them on this.

Yes, that's worth a gp. The Uk Lottery site insists on using IE,
although that does include Mac. Simply changing user agent ID in either
Firefox or Safari enables it to work perfectly well.

la...@nospam.nosoftwarepatents.edu

Apr 12, 2005, 5:48:31 AM4/12/05
What was the response from the site's webmaster and of the institution
when you contacted them regarding the error?

--
Lars
Software patents harm all Net-based business, write your MEP:

Marian ZUREK

Apr 13, 2005, 3:59:25 AM4/13/05
to delbert
No problem with the Opera browser.

Regards,
Marian

delbert

Apr 15, 2005, 4:29:08 PM4/15/05
Basically, he said that they're using some M$hit technology that
considers Mac browsers as having a security issue.

I asked him to give me the listings from BugTrac that show (Macintosh)
Firefox 1.0.2 as having a security problem in respect to classic ASP.
He didn't reply to that ...

So, I ended up going to the university and using IE 6 to sign up. I
guess the organization had a short sighted and/or incompetent web
developer.

delbert

Apr 15, 2005, 4:23:42 PM4/15/05
Yeah, I've tried using the Agent string switcher utility, but
unfortunately that trick doesn't work.

Message has been deleted

Stephen Roberts

Apr 24, 2005, 1:59:41 PM4/24/05
On 2005-04-04 06:23:47 -0700, "delbert" <Stephen...@gmail.com> said:

> I've found a website that my family needs to use, but won't work with
> *Any* Macintosh browser. I'm really surprised that a quasi Canadian
> Government Insitution would allow this kind of behaviour in 2005.
>

> Macintosh operating systems are no longer supported. "
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Steve
> Toronto

Every aspect of it worked fine for me with Firefox on a Mac.

Tim Murray

Apr 28, 2005, 10:46:16 PM4/28/05
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:33:48 -0400, herbwormwood wrote:
> Can you post on how to change user agent to include windows, and post a URL
> to download the extension? Is there a similar extension for Safari?

For Firefox go to
https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox and look
for User Agent Switcher or ieview.

For Safari, try http://www.lordofthecows.com/safari_enhancer.php

Tim Murray

Apr 28, 2005, 10:49:10 PM4/28/05
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:33:48 -0400, herbwormwood wrote:
> For example http://www.traidcraftshop.co.uk/ wouldn't let me buy anything.
> When I emailed them they said their online store only did "windows explorer",

I did not go as far as the final purchase, but up to that point, it worked
okay for me. I'm using Firefox 1.0.3 in Panther 10.3.9.

Message has been deleted