Weird easter egg in NN 3.0 or 3.01

Andy Seidl

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
Has anyone tried this? In NN 3.0 or 3.01 (I recently upgraded to NN Gold
and deleted the older version) type about:Hi or about:(whatever you want
except plugins) in the location. Then a page with the the title Hi or
whatever you typed in will come up and the page's text says: "Homey dont
play dat." Weird.
Hey, maybe the developer can explain what that means.

Andy Seidl

Linux Rocks
Macs are Cool
Windows is Screwed Up

gr...@apple2.com.invalid

Jun 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/22/00
In article <395202EB...@student.canterbury.ac.nz>,
Matthew Thomas <mp...@student.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>Andy Seidl <ase...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Has anyone tried this? In NN 3.0 or 3.01 (I recently upgraded to NN
>> Gold and deleted the older version) type about:Hi or about:(whatever
>> you want except plugins)

> And except <about:mozilla>, <about:cache>, <about:memory-cache>,
> <about:image-cache>, <about:global>, <about:1994>,

1994 gives me an empty page. (Mac Netscape 4.73)

> <about:authors>,

"about:authors removed"

> <about:nihongo>, <about:francais>, <about:deutsch>,

All empty.

> <about:logo>, <about:quicktime>,

quicktime empty.

> etc. Some of these worked only in 3.x versions, some
> only in 4.x versions.

Ah, I see. In the past, it looked like <about:unknown> (for various
values of unknown) would produce a page which had unknown as the markup.
I remember successfully using about: to contain markup and it would
display that markup live. (Always thought that could be a security
problem. What privileges does an about: page have?)

> See <http://eeggs.com/tree/1-1-141.html> for a more complete (but not
> exhaustive) list.

Apparently some of those pages are tempermental. Many of them wouldn't
load completely (mostly blank page pres. from incomplete table), and I
had trouble accessing them at all using iCab.

--
__ _____________ __
\ \_\ \__ __/ /_/ / <http://www.war-of-the-worlds.org/>

Matthew Thomas

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00
Andy Seidl wrote:

> Has anyone tried this? In NN 3.0 or 3.01 (I recently upgraded to NN
> Gold and deleted the older version) type about:Hi or about:(whatever
> you want except plugins)

And except <about:mozilla>, <about:cache>, <about:memory-cache>,

<about:image-cache>, <about:global>, <about:1994>, <about:authors>,
<about:nihongo>, <about:francais>, <about:deutsch>, <about:logo>,
<about:quicktime>, etc. Some of these worked only in 3.x versions, some
only in 4.x versions. See <http://eeggs.com/tree/1-1-141.html> for a

more complete (but not exhaustive) list.

> in the location. Then a page with the the

> title Hi or whatever you typed in will come up and the page's text
> says: "Homey dont play dat." Weird.
> Hey, maybe the developer can explain what that means.

`Homey don't play dat' could roughly be translated, I guess, as `I don't
do an Easter egg with that name'. IIRC, 4.0x versions say `Whatchew
talking 'bout, Willis?' in the same situation.

4.7, boringly, does nothing. <about:mozilla> works in Mozilla (with new
text), but I think it's the only Easter egg in Mozilla so far -- though
there is a bug report open asking for the return of the Fishcam.

--
Matthew `mpt' Thomas, Mozilla user interface QA
<http://critique.net.nz/project/mozilla/>

Colin Mckellar

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00
>> See <http://eeggs.com/tree/1-1-141.html> for a more complete (but not
>> exhaustive) list.
>
> Apparently some of those pages are tempermental. Many of them wouldn't
> load completely (mostly blank page pres. from incomplete table), and I
> had trouble accessing them at all using iCab.

Concerning about:<whatever> and iCab, try: "about:mozilla" in iCab...

Colin.