Use bits of larger image

1 view

Andrew Poulos

Nov 17, 2020, 9:34:55 PM11/17/20
I'm writing some help documentation and the UI has a component that has
lots of sub-components. A screen capture of each of the sub-components
appears in the documentation along with a description/explanation.

Every time the UI gets changed, no matter how trivial, I need to update
the documentation. Sometimes there's only one change to one
sub-component and sometimes something like the theme colour gets changed
(so every sub-component has changed).

Rather than capture each sub-component individually would a better way
to go be to screen capture the parent component with all the
sub-components open? Then in the documentation use multiple divs with
the single screen capture as a positioned bg image?

I guess the issue then comes down to what to size the div and where to
position the bg image. Swapping having to make many individual screen
captures for needing to maintain multiple dimensions :-(

Andrew Poulos

Philip Herlihy

Nov 18, 2020, 10:30:08 AM11/18/20
In article <WPCdncfMMNbVFSnC...@westnet.com.au>,
ap_...@hotmail.com says...
Sounds like you're describing the use of 'Sprites', where a single image is
served for different areas of it to be used in different elements.

See: https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_image_sprites.asp

--

Phil, London