<iframe>

1 view

Dale

Aug 5, 2022, 6:31:54 PM8/5/22

I am using this example for a webpage display ...

<iframe src="https://www.dalekelly.org/" title="Me"></iframe>

If I click on a link within the display there is no back arrow to return.

For instance ...

On this link ...

https://www.dalekelly.org/om.html

click on this inner link - "Turiya"

I don't get a return arrow?

Even better ...

how can I get the browser interface menus on my <iframe> window

--
Mystery? -> https://www.dalekelly.org/

Arno Welzel

Aug 6, 2022, 4:22:51 AM8/6/22
Dale, 2022-08-06 00:31:

> Hi,
>
> I am using this example for a webpage display ...
>
> <iframe src="https://www.dalekelly.org/" title="Me"></iframe>
>
> If I click on a link within the display there is no back arrow to return.
>
> For instance ...
>
> On this link ...
>
> https://www.dalekelly.org/om.html
>
> click on this inner link - "Turiya"
>
> I don't get a return arrow?

Well - if the page itself is display within an <iframe> then the *outer*
page is of course *not* changed when you open a link *inside* that <iframe>.

> Even better ...
>
> how can I get the browser interface menus on my <iframe> window

You can't. Don't use an <iframe> to display the whole website.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Jukka K. Korpela

Aug 6, 2022, 3:56:48 PM8/6/22
Dale wrote:

> I am using this example for a webpage display ...
>
> <iframe src="https://www.dalekelly.org/" title="Me"></iframe>
>
> If I click on a link within the display there is no back arrow to return.

If you follow a normal link within content displayed in an iframe, the
linked resource is opened inside that iframe. I don’t see whether you
referring to this and whether you see it as a problem.

> For instance ...
>
> On this link ...
>
> https://www.dalekelly.org/om.html

There is no iframe on that page. So I really cannot see what you are
talking about.

Dale

Aug 7, 2022, 2:39:35 PM8/7/22
On 8/6/2022 4:22 AM, Arno Welzel wrote:
> Dale, 2022-08-06 00:31:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using this example for a webpage display ...
>>
>> <iframe src="https://www.dalekelly.org/" title="Me"></iframe>
>>
>> If I click on a link within the display there is no back arrow to return.
>>
>> For instance ...
>>
>> On this link ...
>>
>> https://www.dalekelly.org/om.html
>>
>> click on this inner link - "Turiya"
>>
>> I don't get a return arrow?

> Well - if the page itself is display within an <iframe> then the *outer*
> page is of course *not* changed when you open a link *inside* that <iframe>.

I found that I can use the browser's arrows/etc. for an <iframe> within
a page

I also found that I can right-click on the <iframe> and get the "back"
option along with some other options

May not be obvious for everybody

>> Even better ...
>>
>> how can I get the browser interface menus on my <iframe> window
>
> You can't. Don't use an <iframe> to display the whole website.

I think an <iframe> having its own arrows/etc. would be more obvious

My whole website works fine without browser arrows/etc., unless I have
an external link, like a Wikipedia link where my menus are not available

I think the reason my site, itself, works is because menu choices are
available, I can see these may not obvious to everyone

Are there any other options?

Dale

Aug 7, 2022, 2:58:55 PM8/7/22
On 8/6/2022 3:56 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Dale wrote:
>
>> I am using this example for a webpage display ...
>>
>> <iframe src="https://www.dalekelly.org/" title="Me"></iframe>
>>
>> If I click on a link within the display there is no back arrow to return.
>
> If you follow a normal link within content displayed in an iframe, the
> linked resource is opened inside that iframe. I don’t see whether you
> referring to this and whether you see it as a problem.

I am okay with links going within the <iframe>

It's just a follow of an off-website link

as an example I click here ...

https://www.dalekelly.org/om.html

then I click on a non website link on the page like "Turiya", which is a
Wikipedia link which takes off from my websites menus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turiya

I'll post an example tomorrow.

Here are some things I found ...

I found that I can use the browser's arrows/etc. for an <iframe> within
a page

I also found that I can right-click on the <iframe> and get the "back"
option along with some other options

May not be obvious for everybody

I think an <iframe> having its own arrows/etc. would be more obvious

My whole website works fine without browser arrows/etc., unless I have
an external link, like a Wikipedia link where my menus are not available

I think the reason my site, itself, works is because menu choices are
available, I can see these may not obvious to everyone

>> For instance ...
>>
>> On this link ...
>>
>> https://www.dalekelly.org/om.html
>
> There is no iframe on that page. So I really cannot see what you are
> talking about.

I post an example tomorrow

Ray_Net

Aug 7, 2022, 5:26:17 PM8/7/22
In article <tcp21d$lnte$1...@dont-email.me>, da...@dalekelly.org says...

> I post an example tomorrow

Having a "Back" or "Forward" in your iframe would require a new incarnation of your browser.
And if we do "Back" outside the iframe, the incarnation will become orphaned - WOW!

Dale

Aug 7, 2022, 7:18:54 PM8/7/22
kind of makes me think the iframe and browser would collide

Arno Welzel

Aug 8, 2022, 8:56:48 AM8/8/22
Dale, 2022-08-07 20:58:

[...]
> I think an <iframe> having its own arrows/etc. would be more obvious

Now, that it would require even more stuff to be displayed.

In <iframe> there to display the content of another URL inside a page -
as for example a YouTube video like in this blod post:

<https://arnowelzel.de/en/origin-of-modern-smartphones>

Using <iframe> do display another website or a page from your own is
considered a bad idea and should be avoided.

Ray_Net

Aug 8, 2022, 6:27:48 PM8/8/22
In article <jlcfge...@mid.individual.net>, use...@arnowelzel.de says...
And some webmaster make pages that cannot be displayed if present inside an iframe.

Dale

Aug 8, 2022, 6:38:00 PM8/8/22
I ran into this ...

this following one says "refused to connect"

<iframe
src="https://www.whitehouse.gov/about-the-white-house/our-government/the-constitution/"
title="America"></iframe>