SILK Web Browser?

1 view

Dale

Mar 11, 2022, 5:16:50 PM3/11/22
I use an Amazon Fire SILK Web Browser on my FireTV.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-Amazon-Silk-Web-Browser/product-reviews/B01M35MQV4

It doesn't open PDF files on my website.

Here is an example ...

https://www.dalekelly.org/images/DaleRKelly122717.pdf

I have been working on changing the PDF files to *.jpeg or HTML to view
better on smart phones anyway.

Anyone from Amazon listening?

I remember there are open system W3.org file formats, XML/XSL, that are
similar. I don't know anything about their browser support.

--
Mystery? -> https://www.dalekelly.org/

Lewis

Mar 11, 2022, 6:10:31 PM3/11/22
In message <t0ghof$7pr$1...@dont-email.me> Dale <da...@dalekelly.org> wrote:
> I use an Amazon Fire SILK Web Browser on my FireTV.

> https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-Amazon-Silk-Web-Browser/product-reviews/B01M35MQV4

> It doesn't open PDF files on my website.

There's a lot that Silk doesn't do. One thing that is DOES do is route
all of your traffic through Amazon. Every thing you do online is exposed
to Amazon.

I know that Silk did not work with Roundcube (a popular webmail system),
though I have no idea if that ever changed.

> Anyone from Amazon listening?

Never has been, can't imagine they'd start now.

> I remember there are open system W3.org file formats, XML/XSL, that are
> similar. I don't know anything about their browser support.

I'm not sure how XML is related to PDF in anyway, as it's a markup
language similar to HTML and XLS is the file extension and file format
for Microsoft Excel.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain, but a codpiece made from a real fish would get

JJ

Mar 11, 2022, 6:15:09 PM3/11/22
Huh? Why ask here if you're trying to communicate with Amazon?

Dale

Mar 11, 2022, 8:45:29 PM3/11/22
On 3/11/2022 6:10 PM, Lewis wrote:
> One thing that is DOES do is route
> all of your traffic through Amazon. Every thing you do online is exposed
> to Amazon.

doesn't other browsers like Edge and Chrome do the same?

my Facebook feed has plenty of stuff related to my browsing history

Eli the Bearded

Mar 12, 2022, 12:33:23 AM3/12/22
In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets,
Lewis <g.k...@gmail.don-t-email-me.com> wrote:
> <da...@dalekelly.org> wrote:
>> I use an Amazon Fire SILK Web Browser on my FireTV.
> There's a lot that Silk doesn't do. One thing that is DOES do is route
> all of your traffic through Amazon. Every thing you do online is
> exposed to Amazon.
>> Anyone from Amazon listening?
> Never has been, can't imagine they'd start now.

Wait, I thought you just said everything was routed through Amazon?

Elijah
------
has nothing useful to say here

Arno Welzel

Mar 12, 2022, 5:33:57 AM3/12/22
Dale:

> I use an Amazon Fire SILK Web Browser on my FireTV.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-Amazon-Silk-Web-Browser/product-reviews/B01M35MQV4
>
> It doesn't open PDF files on my website.

Maybe that browser just can't display PDF.

> Anyone from Amazon listening?

You really expect Amazon staff reading Usenet groups?

> I remember there are open system W3.org file formats, XML/XSL, that are
> similar. I don't know anything about their browser support.

No, PDF is *not* a "open system W3.org file format" - it's the "portable
document format" invented by Adobe.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Arno Welzel

Mar 12, 2022, 5:34:22 AM3/12/22
Dale:

> On 3/11/2022 6:10 PM, Lewis wrote:
>> One thing that is DOES do is route
>> all of your traffic through Amazon. Every thing you do online is exposed
>> to Amazon.
>

> doesn't other browsers like Edge and Chrome do the same?

No.

Lewis

Mar 12, 2022, 7:39:16 AM3/12/22
Are you being seriously dense or trying to be humorous?

--
Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum, cogito

Lewis

Mar 12, 2022, 7:40:04 AM3/12/22
In message <t0gtvn$m65$1...@dont-email.me> Dale <da...@dalekelly.org> wrote:
> On 3/11/2022 6:10 PM, Lewis wrote:
>> One thing that is DOES do is route
>> all of your traffic through Amazon. Every thing you do online is exposed
>> to Amazon.

> doesn't other browsers like Edge and Chrome do the same?

No.

> my Facebook feed has plenty of stuff related to my browsing history

If you use Facebook, then you get what you deserve.

--
Bowling scores are way up, minigolf scores are way down, and we have
more excellent waterslides than any other planet we communicate

Dale

Mar 12, 2022, 9:47:54 AM3/12/22
On 3/12/2022 5:33 AM, Arno Welzel wrote:
> Maybe that browser just can't display PDF.

displays "can't download as of now" or something like that

Dale

Mar 13, 2022, 3:37:20 AM3/13/22
got it pretty much done

https://www.dalekelly.org/

Used Adobe Creative Cloud Express to turn PDF's into jpegs
one example ...

https://www.dalekelly.org/images/DaleRKelly122717.pdf
https://www.dalekelly.org/UMS1.jpg
https://www.dalekelly.org/UMS2.jpg

coded HTML to combine jpegs, one example ...

https://www.dalekelly.org/UMS.html

coded one HTML from scratch and used Adobe Acrobat Pro DC to make one
PDF from it

https://www.dalekelly.org/resume.html
https://www.dalekelly.org/resume.pdf

Arno Welzel

Mar 13, 2022, 8:41:29 PM3/13/22
Dale:

> On 3/12/2022 5:33 AM, Arno Welzel wrote:
>> Maybe that browser just can't display PDF.
>

> displays "can't download as of now" or something like that

Yes - as I said - that browser does not support displaying PDF at all.

Arno Welzel

Mar 13, 2022, 8:45:37 PM3/13/22
Dale:

[...]
> Used Adobe Creative Cloud Express to turn PDF's into jpegs
> one example ...
>
> https://www.dalekelly.org/images/DaleRKelly122717.pdf
> https://www.dalekelly.org/UMS1.jpg
> https://www.dalekelly.org/UMS2.jpg

You serve an images with 34 MB(!) and more than 5000x6600 pixels just to
display a table with some text?

At least you should create MUCH smaller images. But using the TEXT in
that PDF and create an HTML version of that content would be even better.

Eli the Bearded

Mar 14, 2022, 5:06:38 PM3/14/22
In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets,
Lewis <g.k...@gmail.don-t-email-me.com> wrote:
> Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
>> Wait, I thought you just said everything was routed through Amazon?
> Are you being seriously dense or trying to be humorous?

Was it that hard to find the joke?

Elijah
------
clearly needs to workshop this some more

Lewis

Mar 14, 2022, 10:51:26 PM3/14/22
In message <eli$22031...@qaz.wtf> Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
> In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets,
> Lewis <g.k...@gmail.don-t-email-me.com> wrote:
>> Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
>>> Wait, I thought you just said everything was routed through Amazon?
>> Are you being seriously dense or trying to be humorous?
> Was it that hard to find the joke?

Yep, it's still pretty hard to spot.

--
Clicked "Debug" button. Program still has bugs. Wtf? - Rich Seigel