Link checker recommendation?

Stan Brown

Nov 22, 2021, 3:16:21 PM11/22/21
Good day! I recently ran a full link check on my site, for the first
time in years, and I'm amazed at the amount of link rot. I've been
spending the last week cleaning that up.

But the tool I'm using, Xenu's Link Checker, is probably not the best
choice. Although it found a lot of real issues, it also turned up a
bunch of false positives. For instance, it reports quite a few 12157
errors, which I believe means it can't do SSL2. (The latest version
is 2010.) It also gets a bunch of plain timeouts on pages I can open
just fine in my browser. Can someone recommend a better (and
hopefully free) alternative?

I'm running Windows 7. I'd like to be able to link-check a server-
side or local copy of my site, for instance https://BrownMath.com/ or
file:///D:/Brownmath/index.htm . I'd also like the option to consider
a redirect as an error or not an error, as I choose.

Thanks for your suggestions!

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA
https://BrownMath.com/

Ant

Nov 23, 2021, 12:56:37 AM11/23/21
Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Good day! I recently ran a full link check on my site, for the first
> time in years, and I'm amazed at the amount of link rot. I've been
> spending the last week cleaning that up.

It's hard to keep up too! I also use it to check my bookmarks.html! :(

> But the tool I'm using, Xenu's Link Checker, is probably not the best
> choice. Although it found a lot of real issues, it also turned up a
> bunch of false positives. For instance, it reports quite a few 12157
> errors, which I believe means it can't do SSL2. (The latest version
> is 2010.) It also gets a bunch of plain timeouts on pages I can open
> just fine in my browser. Can someone recommend a better (and
> hopefully free) alternative?

> I'm running Windows 7. I'd like to be able to link-check a server-
> side or local copy of my site, for instance https://BrownMath.com/ or
> file:///D:/Brownmath/index.htm . I'd also like the option to consider
> a redirect as an error or not an error, as I choose.

Same here. However, the developer stopped updating it. Last year or so,
I asked him if there were any more updates coming, but he said no. :( I
hope there are free alternatives like it.
--
Slammy Monday daytime, but poopy, gassy, and achy body at night. :( Being old sucks. Still so many stuff to do and see! Every (body and thing) are moving and changing! :(
| |o o| |