Good HTML5 CSS3 reference books

The Doctor

Oct 27, 2013, 9:02:48 PM10/27/13
What book or books would you recommend for HTML5/CSS3 ?
--
Member - Liberal International This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism

tlvp

Oct 27, 2013, 9:13:57 PM10/27/13
On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 01:02:48 +0000 (UTC), The Doctor wrote:

> What book or books would you recommend for HTML5/CSS3 ?

I can tell you the ISBNs, title, & author of the only 21st Century CSS book
I own, provided you don't construe this communication as a recommendation:

ISBN-10: 1-59059-614-5
ISBN-13: 978-1-59059-614-2
Andy Budd
CSS Mastery

HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

dorayme

Oct 27, 2013, 10:04:43 PM10/27/13
In article <71zirvod0zu9$.1ipk1t07...@40tude.net>,
tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net> wrote:

> I can tell you the ISBNs, title, & author of the only 21st Century CSS book
> I own, provided you don't construe this communication as a recommendation:

Why would you do this if there no element of recommendation in it?

--
dorayme

Gus Richter

Oct 28, 2013, 2:43:34 PM10/28/13
On 10/27/2013 9:02 PM, The Doctor wrote:
> What book or books would you recommend for HTML5/CSS3 ?

For HTML5 peruse <http://diveinto.html5doctor.com/>
and you can get it in print as well if you desire.

For other specific items such as CSS3, peruse:
<http://caniuse.com/>

-- Gus
* peruse = read thoroughly with great care *

---

tlvp

Oct 29, 2013, 2:23:56 AM10/29/13
When I cannot recommend, I sometimes suggest. This was such a time.

dorayme

Oct 29, 2013, 5:15:44 AM10/29/13
In article <1rx08o1g2yi0y.io9afsgpjlzw$.d...@40tude.net>,
tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 13:04:43 +1100, dorayme wrote:
>
> > In article <71zirvod0zu9$.1ipk1t07...@40tude.net>,
> > tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I can tell you the ISBNs, title, & author of the only 21st Century CSS book
> >> I own, provided you don't construe this communication as a recommendation:
> >
> > Why would you do this if there no element of recommendation in it?
>
> When I cannot recommend, I sometimes suggest. This was such a time.

Surely, if there was no element of recommendation, there would hardly
be a reason to suggest a thing. Why not suggest he goes to a bookshop,
blindfolds himself, and reach for any book at all? <g>

--
dorayme

tlvp

Oct 30, 2013, 3:45:10 AM10/30/13
On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 20:15:44 +1100, dorayme wrote:

> Surely, if there was no element of recommendation, ...

Well, now, there's a contrafactual hypothesis, if ever I saw one :-) .

> ... there would hardly
> be a reason to suggest a thing.

Exactly. Try the contrapositive of what you just wrote, for better insight:
I suggested the thing, presumably for some (perhaps hidden) reason, whence
there surely was *some* element (howsoever small) of recommendation.

But I didn't want the suggestion to be taken as an all-out recommendation.

> Why not suggest he goes to a bookshop,
> blindfolds himself, and reach for any book at all? <g>

More reasons than I can shake a stick at. And it doesn't smack of my style.
Why should I chance "he" reach a Joy of Cooking, or a Ramayana, or a Leaves
of Grass, if "he" wants CSS & HTML5? Would you? Cheers etc., -- tlvp

dorayme

Oct 30, 2013, 5:28:17 PM10/30/13
In article <vjvnm7fn2xyj.14...@40tude.net>,
tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 20:15:44 +1100, dorayme wrote:
>
> > Surely, if there was no element of recommendation, ...
>
> Well, now, there's a contrafactual hypothesis, if ever I saw one :-) .

I am supposing you mean (in your idiolect) by contrafactual what I
mean (in my idiolect) by counterfactual. Yes, it turns out to be
against the facts, you admit there was some element of recommendation.

> > ... there would hardly
> > be a reason to suggest a thing.
>
> Exactly. Try the contrapositive of what you just wrote, for better insight:
> I suggested the thing, presumably for some (perhaps hidden) reason, whence
> there surely was *some* element (howsoever small) of recommendation.

OK, you are now making a distinction between using "recommend" to mean
"fully recommend" and "recommend to some extent". Seems odd to me how
you so muscularly dissociated yourself from recommending.

> But I didn't want the suggestion to be taken as an all-out recommendation.
>
> > Why not suggest he goes to a bookshop,
> > blindfolds himself, and reach for any book at all? <g>
>
> More reasons than I can shake a stick at.

<g>

--
dorayme

tlvp

Oct 31, 2013, 4:50:14 AM10/31/13
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 08:28:17 +1100, dorayme wrote:

> Seems odd to me how
> you so muscularly dissociated yourself from recommending.

As someone who barely weighs 55 kg, even when sopping wet, I can't do much
of anything particularly muscularly. Not even dissociate myself :-) . But I
suppose it's too much for me to expect you to be aware of that -- after
all, you hardly know me. But no matter, so long as all is well now, and
clear, and calm again. Cheers, and Hallowe'en greetings, -- tlvp

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 2, 2013, 11:55:56 PM11/2/13
tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net> wrote:
>On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 20:15:44 +1100, dorayme wrote:

>>Surely, if there was no element of recommendation, ...

>Well, now, there's a contrafactual hypothesis, if ever I saw one :-) .

>> ... there would hardly
>> be a reason to suggest a thing.

>Exactly. Try the contrapositive of what you just wrote, for better insight:
>I suggested the thing, presumably for some (perhaps hidden) reason, whence
>there surely was *some* element (howsoever small) of recommendation.

>But I didn't want the suggestion to be taken as an all-out recommendation.

Is there a book you would refuse to recommend upon pain of death?

Molly Mockford

Nov 3, 2013, 11:40:56 AM11/3/13
At 03:55:56 on Sun, 3 Nov 2013, Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote in
<l54hgc$ic0$1...@news.albasani.net>:
Anything by Jeffrey Archer.
--
Molly Mockford
Nature loves variety. Unfortunately, society hates it. (Milton Diamond Ph.D.)

tlvp

Nov 3, 2013, 10:01:53 PM11/3/13
On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 03:55:56 +0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Is there a book you would refuse to recommend upon pain of death?

Spare me the paradoxical hypotheticals, please. Thanks. Cheers, -- tlvp