ID attribute for table row

Andreas Prilop

Nov 13, 2009, 8:16:10 AM11/13/09
Internet Explorer 8 seems to ignore the ID attribute for
table rows, i.e. <tr id=...> .
Example:
http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/unidata00.html#x0040

Is there any explanation for this behaviour?
What can be done instead?

--
In memoriam Alan J. Flavell
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/search?q=author:Alan.J.Flavell

Harlan Messinger

Nov 17, 2009, 7:29:35 AM11/17/09
Andreas Prilop wrote:
> Internet Explorer 8 seems to ignore the ID attribute for
> table rows, i.e. <tr id=...> .
> Example:
> http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/unidata00.html#x0040
>
> Is there any explanation for this behaviour?
> What can be done instead?

Ignores it in what sense?

Andreas Prilop

Nov 17, 2009, 8:32:52 AM11/17/09
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Harlan Messinger wrote:

>> Internet Explorer 8 seems to ignore the ID attribute for
>> table rows, i.e. <tr id=...> .

>> http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/unidata00.html#x0040

> Ignores it in what sense?

The table row with id="x0040" show be at the top of the
browser window as in Firefox or in Internet Explorer 6/7.

--
In memoriam Alan J. Flavell

http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/charset/

Harlan Messinger

Nov 17, 2009, 10:19:04 AM11/17/09
Andreas Prilop wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Harlan Messinger wrote:
>
>>> Internet Explorer 8 seems to ignore the ID attribute for
>>> table rows, i.e. <tr id=...> .
>>> http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/unidata00.html#x0040
>> Ignores it in what sense?
>
> The table row with id="x0040" show be at the top of the
> browser window as in Firefox or in Internet Explorer 6/7.

Oh, I see. I was looking for CSS or Javascript that was making use of
these. I didn't notice that there was a fragment right there in the URL.

GTalbot

Nov 17, 2009, 12:31:08 PM11/17/09
On 13 nov, 08:16, Andreas Prilop <prilop4...@trashmail.net> wrote:
> Internet Explorer 8 seems to ignore the ID attribute for
> table rows, i.e.  <tr id=...> .
> Example:
>  http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/unidata00.html#x0040
>
> Is there any explanation for this behaviour?

Oversight.
It should have been reported separately and/or more carefully/
thoroughly tested in bug 331609
Linking to named tags on a webpage does not work
https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=331609

> What can be done instead?

Report it, ideally with a reduced testcase.

Today, I will mention it and add it into my IE 8 bugs webpage.

regards, Gérard
--
Internet Explorer 8 bugs: 57 bugs so far
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/

GTalbot

Nov 17, 2009, 1:28:40 PM11/17/09
On 17 nov, 12:31, GTalbot <newsgr...@gtalbot.org> wrote:
> On 13 nov, 08:16, Andreas Prilop <prilop4...@trashmail.net> wrote:
>
> > Internet Explorer 8 seems to ignore the ID attribute for
> > table rows, i.e.  <tr id=...> .
> > Example:
> >  http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/unidata00.html#x0040
>
> > Is there any explanation for this behaviour?
>
> Oversight.
> It should have been reported separately and/or more carefully/
> thoroughly tested in bug 331609
> Linking to named tags on a webpage does not workhttps://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackI...

> > What can be done instead?
>
> Report it, ideally with a reduced testcase.
>
> Today, I will mention it and add it into my IE 8 bugs webpage.

Bug 58: http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/#bug236

and

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/intra-table-navigation-fragment-id.html

I believe IE 7 passes this test. So, it looks like this is a
regression.

regards, Gérard
--
Internet Explorer 8 bugs: 58 bugs so far

BootNic

Nov 17, 2009, 8:17:47 PM11/17/09
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:16:10 +0100
Andreas Prilop <prilo...@trashmail.net> wrote:

> Internet Explorer 8 seems to ignore the ID attribute for table
> rows, i.e. <tr id=...> . Example:
> http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/unidata00.html#x0040
>
> Is there any explanation for this behaviour? What can be done
> instead?

[url]
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/msg/ab5afdff8a07cdc8?hl=en
[/url]

Right or wrong I settled for option 3.

Implemented in the following example:

[url] http://bootnic.bounceme.net/doraymeLiveExample.php [/url]

--
BootNic Tue Nov 17, 2009 08:17 pm
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you

⁕ 237 days remaining

signature.asc

Andreas Prilop

Nov 18, 2009, 11:46:44 AM11/18/09
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, GTalbot wrote:

> Today, I will mention it and add it into my IE 8 bugs webpage.

OK - but
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.html/browse_thread/thread/27a22daa97a5228f
was apparently earlier.

--
Solipsists of the world - unite!

GTalbot

Nov 18, 2009, 10:28:20 PM11/18/09
On 18 nov, 11:46, Andreas Prilop <prilop4...@trashmail.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, GTalbot wrote:
> > Today, I will mention it and add it into my IE 8 bugs webpage.
>
> OK - but
>  http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.html/browse_thread/thread/27a22d...
> was apparently earlier.

Andreas and BootNic,

I updated the testcase and the bug report on my webpage.

regards, Gérard
--
Internet Explorer 8 bugs: 58 bugs so far

Jeremy J Starcher

Nov 23, 2009, 1:08:33 PM11/23/09
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:16:10 +0100, Andreas Prilop wrote:

> Internet Explorer 8 seems to ignore the ID attribute for table rows,
> i.e. <tr id=...> .
> Example:
> http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/unidata00.html#x0040
>
> Is there any explanation for this behaviour? What can be done instead?

Oh! Over here! I can explain.

You can't use just any element as an anchor, you have to use an anchor
element.

<a name="jumptome"></a>

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html

David Stone

Nov 23, 2009, 2:18:17 PM11/23/09
In article <BcAOm.47704$W77....@newsfe11.iad>,

Hmm... From that very page, I quote:

"Destination anchors in HTML documents may be specified either by the
A element (naming it with the name attribute), or by any other element
(naming with the id attribute)."

So no, you don't (or at least shouldn't) have to use an anchor
element, provided you use the id attribute instead of name.

On a slightly different note, is anyone actively maintaining the
site cited in the test case by AP? Some of the links on the page
http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/ seem to be broken.

(1) Clicking on the Gen'l cat'y link in the header row takes you
to http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/#gencat

(2) Clicking on the General Category Values link in the text on
that page gives a 404 response for the link target,
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UCD.html#General_Category_Values

A number of the other unicode.org links also give 404 responses.

Ordinarily, I'd notify the page author directly, but that isn't
possible here...

Molly Mockford

Nov 23, 2009, 3:22:48 PM11/23/09
At 14:18:17 on Mon, 23 Nov 2009, David Stone <no.e...@domain.invalid>
wrote in <no.email-AA170E...@news1.chem.utoronto.ca>:

>On a slightly different note, is anyone actively maintaining the
>site cited in the test case by AP?

Yes, me.

> Some of the links on the page
>http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/ seem to be broken.

Bugger. That's the first that anybody has spotted since I uploaded the
pages two and a half years ago!

>(1) Clicking on the Gen'l cat'y link in the header row takes you
> to http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/#gencat
>
>(2) Clicking on the General Category Values link in the text on
> that page gives a 404 response for the link target,
> http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UCD.html#General_Category_Values
>
>A number of the other unicode.org links also give 404 responses.
>
>Ordinarily, I'd notify the page author directly, but that isn't
>possible here...

I will need to study the original pages (which were rather distorted
when I received them) and see what ought to be happening, and why it
isn't. I am afraid this is something which I probably won't have time
to do until the Long Break - but it will occupy my time nicely then,
when everybody else is drink-driving.
--
Molly Mockford
Nature loves variety. Unfortunately, society hates it. (Milton Diamond Ph.D.)

David Stone

Nov 24, 2009, 9:19:34 AM11/24/09
In article <ykUgy3rY...@molly.mockford>,
Molly Mockford <nospam...@mollymockford.me.uk> wrote:

> At 14:18:17 on Mon, 23 Nov 2009, David Stone <no.e...@domain.invalid>
> wrote in <no.email-AA170E...@news1.chem.utoronto.ca>:
>
> >On a slightly different note, is anyone actively maintaining the
> >site cited in the test case by AP?
>
> Yes, me.

[snip]

> >A number of the other unicode.org links also give 404 responses.
> >
> >Ordinarily, I'd notify the page author directly, but that isn't
> >possible here...
>
> I will need to study the original pages (which were rather distorted
> when I received them) and see what ought to be happening, and why it
> isn't.

I suspect a reorganization on the unicode.org site may partly be to
blame...

> I am afraid this is something which I probably won't have time
> to do until the Long Break - but it will occupy my time nicely then,
> when everybody else is drink-driving.

That actually sounds like a pretty good plan!

Molly Mockford

Nov 24, 2009, 1:34:54 PM11/24/09
At 09:19:34 on Tue, 24 Nov 2009, David Stone <no.e...@domain.invalid>
wrote in <no.email-F5FC9F...@news1.chem.utoronto.ca>:

Tell you what, although I've diarised it, how's about you remind me when
the solstice comes? In case I end up eating walnuts and chocolates and
reading trash novels for the duration?