HTML 5 - the evolving tag soup

Jukka K. Korpela

Mar 14, 2007, 1:05:03 PM3/14/07
As you can see from the W3C main page now, http://www.w3.org , or from the
press release http://www.w3.org/2007/03/html-pressrelease , the Consortium
has decided that HTML 5 is a good idea if they define it.

They want to be "compatible" wíth "'classic HTML' parsers", which presumably
means that HTML 5 documents must make sense when rendered by existing tag
soup processors.

They also want all kinds of widgets and gadgets and extras, as outlined at
http://www.w3.org/2007/03/HTML-WG-charter.html

I didn't find anything referring to a semantically richer language, so this
probably won't be another HTML 3. Rather, it'll be HTML 4 extended with
<embed> (under a different name), if you see what I mean.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Henri Sivonen

Apr 12, 2007, 5:11:06 PM4/12/07
In article <TWVJh.16376$HQ2....@reader1.news.saunalahti.fi>,

"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkor...@cs.tut.fi> wrote:

> As you can see from the W3C main page now, http://www.w3.org , or from the
> press release http://www.w3.org/2007/03/html-pressrelease , the Consortium
> has decided that HTML 5 is a good idea if they define it.
>
> They want to be "compatible" wíth "'classic HTML' parsers", which presumably
> means that HTML 5 documents must make sense when rendered by existing tag
> soup processors.

More to the point, the parsing algorithm for HTML5 should cope with
existing content. HTML5 should degrade reasonably gracefully as well.

> They also want all kinds of widgets and gadgets and extras, as outlined at
> http://www.w3.org/2007/03/HTML-WG-charter.html
>
> I didn't find anything referring to a semantically richer language, so this
> probably won't be another HTML 3. Rather, it'll be HTML 4 extended with
> <embed> (under a different name), if you see what I mean.

Apple, Opera and Mozilla have proposed that the new HTML WG adopt WHATWG
HTML5 as the starting point.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/0429.html

--
Henri Sivonen