Chrome browser?

Dale

Dec 4, 2022, 5:15:24 PM12/4/22
Hi !

This doesn't happen with Edge browser.

I tried some other sites but it seems to only happen with mine.

I don't know if this is HTML or CSS that is why I have a cross-post.

Here is my StyleSheet ...

https://www.dalekelly.org/mystyle.css

If I open my website's front page in Chrome browser ...

https://www.dalekelly.org/

... select one of its links.

Then press Chrome's return arrow to return to my website's front page.

The Browser's scroll bar on the front page is no longer there.

The scroll bar will return if I refresh the front page.

I can still scroll up/down with the keyboard's arrows.

Did the Chrome update ...

Version 108.0.5359.95 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Using Windows 10

--
Mystery? -> https://www.dalekelly.org/

JJ

Dec 4, 2022, 11:07:24 PM12/4/22
The problem doesn't occur when tested on my Chromium 106.

If you have browser extensions installed, try temporarily disabling all of
them and retest the website. If it's fine after a view tests, it means that
one of the browser extensions is interfering. Do a divide-and-conquer
strategy to pinpoint the culprit.

If still the same... press F12 to open Developer Tools panel. Switch to the
Network tab and make sure the "Disable cache" checkbox is ticked. Retest the
website. If it's fine after a view tests, it's likely that, there's a
network problem when retrieveing/re-retrieveing either the HTML or CSS
resource or both - where the data transfer of resource data was prematurely
cut. i.e. network glitch. If you're absolutely sure it only happens to your
website, then the problem is likely at the server which host your website.
In this case, contact the customer support of that server.

Dale

Dec 5, 2022, 11:59:10 AM12/5/22
On 12/4/2022 11:07 PM, JJ wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2022 17:15:20 -0500, Dale wrote:
>> Hi !
>>
>> This doesn't happen with Edge browser.
>>
>> I tried some other sites but it seems to only happen with mine.
>>
>> I don't know if this is HTML or CSS that is why I have a cross-post.
>>
>> Here is my StyleSheet ...
>>
>> https://www.dalekelly.org/mystyle.css
>>
>> If I open my website's front page in Chrome browser ...
>>
>> https://www.dalekelly.org/
>>
>> ... select one of its links.
>>
>> Then press Chrome's return arrow to return to my website's front page.
>>
>> The Browser's scroll bar on the front page is no longer there.
>>
>> The scroll bar will return if I refresh the front page.
>>
>> I can still scroll up/down with the keyboard's arrows.
>>
>> Did the Chrome update ...
>>
>> Version 108.0.5359.95 (Official Build) (64-bit)
>>
>> Using Windows 10
>
> The problem doesn't occur when tested on my Chromium 106.

Thank You !

> If you have browser extensions installed, try temporarily disabling all of
> them and retest the website. If it's fine after a view tests, it means that
> one of the browser extensions is interfering. Do a divide-and-conquer
> strategy to pinpoint the culprit.

Never installed an extension.

> If still the same... press F12 to open Developer Tools panel. Switch to the
> Network tab and make sure the "Disable cache" checkbox is ticked. Retest the
> website. If it's fine after a view tests, it's likely that, there's a
> network problem when retrieveing/re-retrieveing either the HTML or CSS
> resource or both - where the data transfer of resource data was prematurely
> cut. i.e. network glitch. If you're absolutely sure it only happens to your
> website, then the problem is likely at the server which host your website.
> In this case, contact the customer support of that server.

Will give server support a call.

Thank You !

Stan Brown

Dec 5, 2022, 9:09:59 PM12/5/22
On Mon, 5 Dec 2022 11:07:21 +0700, JJ wrote:

> The problem doesn't occur when tested on my Chromium 106.

It does for me, just as Dale described, on Windows 10 with Chrome
Version 107.0.5304.123 (Official Build) (64-bit).

It does not occur for me in Firefox 107.0.1 (64-bit), on the same
Windows 10 system.

I have scripting turned on in Chrome, but turned off in Firefox. But
I don't see any scripting on Dale's homepage, so that's probably not
the explanation.

You've probably already validated your HTML and CSS, but just in case
you didn't I did, at <https://validator.w3.org/>, and neither your
homepage nor your <https://www.dalekelly.org/mystyle.css> generated
any errors or warnings.

I suppose it's possible this is a Chrome bug, though I'm always wary
about blaming the "compiler" instead of my own code.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Hopefully someone else will know more
and enlighten us both.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA
https://BrownMath.com/

JJ

Dec 6, 2022, 4:15:59 AM12/6/22
On Mon, 5 Dec 2022 18:09:55 -0800, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Dec 2022 11:07:21 +0700, JJ wrote:
>
>> The problem doesn't occur when tested on my Chromium 106.
>
> It does for me, just as Dale described, on Windows 10 with Chrome
> Version 107.0.5304.123 (Official Build) (64-bit).
>
> It does not occur for me in Firefox 107.0.1 (64-bit), on the same
> Windows 10 system.

I'm starting to think that, it's a Chrome-specific bug. Cause I do use
Firefox (currently v105.0), and the problem doesn't occur too. Same as other
Chromium based browsers:

Opera 84.0 (based on Chromium 98.0) = no problem

Vivaldi 4.0 (based on Chromium 91.0) = no problem

Beaker Browser (based on Chromium 87.0) = no problem

Edge 79.0 (based on Chromium 79.0) = no problem

Dale

Dec 6, 2022, 7:59:46 PM12/6/22
On 12/5/2022 9:09 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Dec 2022 11:07:21 +0700, JJ wrote:
>
>> The problem doesn't occur when tested on my Chromium 106.
>
> It does for me, just as Dale described, on Windows 10 with Chrome
> Version 107.0.5304.123 (Official Build) (64-bit).
>
> It does not occur for me in Firefox 107.0.1 (64-bit), on the same
> Windows 10 system.

Thank You !!!!

> I have scripting turned on in Chrome, but turned off in Firefox. But
> I don't see any scripting on Dale's homepage, so that's probably not
> the explanation.
>
> You've probably already validated your HTML and CSS, but just in case
> you didn't I did, at <https://validator.w3.org/>, and neither your
> homepage nor your <https://www.dalekelly.org/mystyle.css> generated
> any errors or warnings.
>
> I suppose it's possible this is a Chrome bug, though I'm always wary
> about blaming the "compiler" instead of my own code.
>
> Sorry I can't be more helpful. Hopefully someone else will know more
> and enlighten us both.

Thank You !!!!
Facebook-> https://www.facebook.com/dalekellytoo/
Instagram -> https://www.instagram.com/dalekellytoo/
Twitter -> https://twitter.com/dalekellytoo/
YouTube-> https://www.youtube.com/@dalekellytoo
GitHub -> https://github.com/dalekellytoo
LinkedIn -> https://www.linkedin.com/in/dalekellytoo/
Pinterest -> https://www.pinterest.com/dalekellytoo/

Dale

Dec 6, 2022, 8:00:53 PM12/6/22
Thank You for the tremendous research !

Jukka K. Korpela

Dec 7, 2022, 5:27:15 AM12/7/22
Stan Brown wrote:

> It does for me, just as Dale described, on Windows 10 with Chrome
> Version 107.0.5304.123 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Not for me with Chrome 108.0.5359.95. Maybe this was a short-time bug in
Chrome. A vaguely remember having seen some pages without vertical
scroll bar even though they needed one and one appeared after refresh,
but I never studied these cases, as the problem vanished so simply.

Stan Brown

Dec 7, 2022, 11:13:37 AM12/7/22
Chrome on my Windows 10 PC updates itself, and I'm now at the same
version number as you:
Version 108.0.5359.95 (Official Build) (64-bit).
But the problem still happens for me. Do you have 32-bit Chrome by
any chance, or are you on a different OS?

Steps to reproduce the problem:
1. Open <https://www.dalekelly.org/>
Note the scrollbar at right.
2. Click on "Becoming?"
3. Click the back arrow in Chrome to return to Dale's page.
No scrollbar at the right.

If I refresh the page with Ctrl+R, the scrollbar reappears.

Jukka K. Korpela

Dec 7, 2022, 11:47:08 AM12/7/22
Stan Brown wrote:

> Chrome on my Windows 10 PC updates itself, and I'm now at the same
> version number as you:
> Version 108.0.5359.95 (Official Build) (64-bit).
> But the problem still happens for me. Do you have 32-bit Chrome by
> any chance, or are you on a different OS?

No, I have 64-bit Chrome on Windows 10. Mysterious.

> Steps to reproduce the problem:
> 1. Open <https://www.dalekelly.org/>
> Note the scrollbar at right.
> 2. Click on "Becoming?"
> 3. Click the back arrow in Chrome to return to Dale's page.
> No scrollbar at the right.

I did the same, and the scrollbar is there.

JJ

Dec 7, 2022, 6:44:55 PM12/7/22
On Wed, 7 Dec 2022 08:13:35 -0800, Stan Brown wrote:

> Chrome on my Windows 10 PC updates itself, and I'm now at the same
> version number as you:
> Version 108.0.5359.95 (Official Build) (64-bit).
> But the problem still happens for me. Do you have 32-bit Chrome by
> any chance, or are you on a different OS?
>
> Steps to reproduce the problem:
> 1. Open <https://www.dalekelly.org/>
> Note the scrollbar at right.
> 2. Click on "Becoming?"
> 3. Click the back arrow in Chrome to return to Dale's page.
> No scrollbar at the right.
>
> If I refresh the page with Ctrl+R, the scrollbar reappears.

Have you tried a new profile for the browser? Perhaps a setting for an older
version of Chrome, or any setting, is causing it.

Dale

Dec 7, 2022, 6:58:16 PM12/7/22
I am using Chrome Version 108.0.5359.95 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Now I am seeing that sometimes I enter the front page there is no scroll bar

Dale

Jan 2, 2023, 4:30:27 PM1/2/23
Hi again !

Another similar Chrome browser issue with my website. And as before it
doesn't happen with Edge or Internet Explorer browsers.

https://www.dalekelly.org

my website is the Chrome "home" site.

sometimes when I click "home" then move the mouse arrow on to the site
the same scroll arrows as before disappear.

If I click "refresh" the scroll arrows come back.

This doesn't happen all the time ...