changing the basefont size within a page

Andrew Hearn

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

I'm writing a site for a chariaty and the users may be partialy sighted.
Is it possible to use javascript or somthing else to display a pulldown
menu which changes the <BASEFONT size=x> command? Therefore the user can
change the size of the text to their liking.

Has any one done this, do you have any code that would make this
possible?

Thanks.
--
Andrew Hearn

Liam Quinn

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

Andrew Hearn <red...@redland.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm writing a site for a chariaty and the users may be partialy sighted.
>Is it possible to use javascript or somthing else to display a pulldown
>menu which changes the <BASEFONT size=x> command? Therefore the user can
>change the size of the text to their liking.

While your concern for your users is admirable, I think it's probably
best to trust the users to know how to properly configure their
browsers. A user who requires large fonts or special font colours
will configure his or her browser appropriately.

Liam Quinn
aqu...@hookup.net
http://www.hookup.net/~aquinn/liam.html

Alan J. Flavell

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Andrew Hearn wrote:

> I'm writing a site for a chariaty and the users may be partialy sighted.

Some more than others, presumably. So each will have their own
best setting for font sizes.

> Is it possible to use javascript or somthing else to display a pulldown
> menu which changes the <BASEFONT size=x> command? Therefore the user can
> change the size of the text to their liking.

I think you'd do better to find them a browser that allows detailed
control of sizing. If you merely scale up a normal browser display,
to make the <small> text readable, then the <h1> headers are going to
be simply gigantic, aren't they? Forget "basefont", this is a
proprietary kludge that has no place in a platform-independent
logical markup language.

I can't see any need for hi-tech measures such as Java; all you
need is an HTML browser with decent configuration options, I'd have
thought.

If your users have to share a browser, then you might want to look
for browsers that allow the use of personal configuration settings,
that could be optimised to each user's requirements.

Some browsers allow detailed configuration of each logical tag; I'd
recommend UdiWWW for this, except it's a bit too buggy for general use;
NCSA Mac Mosaic and Win Mosaic have a good range of options; "Opera"
looks interesting; also you might want to consider personal style sheets
with MS IE 3... Netscape, by comparison, gives you hardly any
configuration choice, you just get to choose one out of a few global
sizing options without any fine control.

There are utilities available, that will expand an area of the screen
for partially sighted readers. That _ought_ not to be necessary with
a good browser, but still might be useful in practice.

There are a few pages out there that discuss accessibility of HTML
documents. I did a few simple searches yesterday out of general interest,
and found quite a few; I won't make too many specific recommendations
because I really don't have the experience to evaluate them, but
pwWebSpeak is one commercial product (that can produce a big-character
display, not only a spoken rendering), and their pages are worth a read
for background information too, I think

http://www.prodworks.com/pwwebspk.htm

Try a search at http://altavista.digital.com/ with terms like
accessibility, speaking browser, and suchlike; I think you'll find
some useful pointers.

best regards

Factoid: Milngavie police station is on the corner of Keystone Avenue.

Steve Cheng

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

Andrew Hearn wrote:

> I'm writing a site for a chariaty and the users may be partialy sighted.
> Is it possible to use javascript or somthing else to display a pulldown
> menu which changes the <BASEFONT size=x> command? Therefore the user can
> change the size of the text to their liking.
>
> Has any one done this, do you have any code that would make this
> possible?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Andrew Hearn

If your readers maybe partially sighted, I don't suggest using
presentation tags at all (<FONT>, <BASEFONT>, <BIG>, etc). Your readers
should be able to set font size themselves within the browser they're
using.