duplicate line in IE7

alice

Sep 26, 2007, 6:26:06 PM9/26/07
Can anyone tell me how to fix this-
On this page - http://s195679515.onlinehome.us/emorys/dinner.php
in the left menu, the last word (Catering) has the last few characters
from it repeating on the line below when viewed in IE7.
Those extra characters should not be there.
What should I do to this specific code to get rid of it?

Rik Wasmus

Sep 26, 2007, 8:27:25 PM9/26/07

Don't know what actually does this. Validate your page first though. As
soon as it's valid and the problem stilll occurs I'll check again.

--
Rik Wasmus

David E. Ross

Sep 26, 2007, 8:42:18 PM9/26/07

What Rik Wasmus means is that there are 17 XHTML errors on the page.
How any browser displays the page is thus uncertain.

While you are fixing it, you should make the page adapt to various
window sizes by eliminating fixed-width areas. When I viewed it, I had
to scroll horizontally repeatedly to see the whole page. That is an
annoyance. Not everyone uses 1024x768 on a browser window that fills
the entire monitor screen. A significant number of users still view
with 800x600. Others prefer to have their browser window cover only
part of their screen.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Natural foods can be harmful: Look at all the
people who die of natural causes.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Sep 26, 2007, 10:30:35 PM9/26/07
alice wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to fix this-
> On this page - http://s195679515.onlinehome.us/emorys/dinner.php

You might want to do a thorough check for spelling errors as well, such
as:

"Enter your name and E-mail address below to reviece updates on monthly
specials and online exclusize promotions."

That sentence caught my eye because I have to squint to read it. There
is not nearly enough contrast.

I did not read through any of the rest of the site.

--
-bts

Blinky the Shark

Sep 26, 2007, 10:40:09 PM9/26/07
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> alice wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me how to fix this-
>> On this page - http://s195679515.onlinehome.us/emorys/dinner.php
>
> You might want to do a thorough check for spelling errors as well, such
> as:
>
> "Enter your name and E-mail address below to reviece updates on monthly
> specials and online exclusize promotions."
>
> That sentence caught my eye because I have to squint to read it. There
> is not nearly enough contrast.

With spelling like that, would *you* make it easy to see? ;)

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

alice

Sep 27, 2007, 11:48:56 AM9/27/07
On Sep 26, 7:40 pm, Blinky the Shark <no.s...@box.invalid> wrote:
> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> > alice wrote:
>
> >> Can anyone tell me how to fix this-
> >> On this page -http://s195679515.onlinehome.us/emorys/dinner.php

> > You might want to do a thorough check for spelling errors as well, such
> > as:
>
> > "Enter your name and E-mail address below to reviece updates on monthly
> > specials and online exclusize promotions."
>
> > That sentence caught my eye because I have to squint to read it. There
> > is not nearly enough contrast.
>
> With spelling like that, would *you* make it easy to see? ;)
>
> --
> Blinky RLU 297263
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project moved to this site August 28th:http://improve-usenet.org

None of the above replies was even slightly helpful. Is there anyone
here who can actually help with this problem?
Spelling errors are not it. I have simply dumped in the content from a
document and have not gotten around to spell checking or editing, and
many other things for that matter. For all you know the whole thing is
supposed to be in Chinese, so it might all be wrong, but that has
nothing to do with the real problem. I'm not posting this so that
people can point out other problems. Please read the post and if you
have nothing real to offer, don't reply at all.

André Gillibert

Sep 27, 2007, 12:04:17 PM9/27/07
alice wrote:

> I'm not posting this so that
> people can point out other problems. Please read the post and if you
> have nothing real to offer, don't reply at all.

Having a valid page is a prerequisite to asking why it doesn't work on
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html.
Behaviors of invalid code are unpredictable.
Use the W3C validator, and fix every HTML and CSS error. THEN, if it
*still* doesn't work, we will be able to search the issue.

--
You can contact me at <tabkanDEL...@yahoDELETETHATo.fr>

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Sep 27, 2007, 12:38:20 PM9/27/07
alice wrote:

> None of the above replies was even slightly helpful. Is there anyone
> here who can actually help with this problem?

Rik's post was spot-on. Fix the errors first. Especially important for
things like positioning errors.

> Spelling errors are not it. I have simply dumped in the content from a
> document and have not gotten around to spell checking or editing, and
> many other things for that matter.

Now that is surely the wrong way to go about developing a page/site.
What's to say that when you do get around to using "real" text, you
don't introduce more/other errors?

> For all you know the whole thing is supposed to be in Chinese, so it
> might all be wrong, but that has nothing to do with the real problem.

If it is suppose to be Chinese, you've a lot more to change. <lol>

> I'm not posting this so that people can point out other problems.
> Please read the post and if you have nothing real to offer, don't
> reply at all.

This is a discussion newsgroup. All are free to discuss any and all
parts of your post. (This is NOT Google, by the way, in case you were
not aware of that fact.)

Well, with that attitude ... see ya, and good luck.

alice

Sep 27, 2007, 12:47:12 PM9/27/07
OK, this page http://www.fearofdolls.com/dinner.html is the same thing
but simplified, stripped of most of the content, and it validates
100%, at least according to the W3C vaildator. And still the problem
is happening. In the left hand side, there are links for A B and C,
and then there is the extra C below that, which should not be there.
Why is it there, and how do I get rid of it?

On Sep 27, 9:04 am, "André Gillibert"

> You can contact me at <tabkanDELETETHIS...@yahoDELETETHATo.fr>

Jonathan N. Little

Sep 27, 2007, 1:00:22 PM9/27/07
alice wrote:

> None of the above replies was even slightly helpful. Is there anyone
> here who can actually help with this problem?
> Spelling errors are not it. I have simply dumped in the content from a
> document and have not gotten around to spell checking or editing, and
> many other things for that matter. For all you know the whole thing is
> supposed to be in Chinese, so it might all be wrong, but that has
> nothing to do with the real problem. I'm not posting this so that
> people can point out other problems. Please read the post and if you
> have nothing real to offer, don't reply at all.

Well firstly your CSS is not very MSIE friendly at all with all the
pixel defined dimensions...

Its a wondrous MSIE float bug! Want to see it disappear? Remove the
float from #submenu a

#submenu a {
/* remove this -> float: left; */
display: block; /* <- add this */
width: 140px;
color: #a6a09a;
text-decoration: none;
margin-top: 6px;
margin-bottom: 6px;
font-weight: bold;

}

Of course you'll then have have "holy-jumping-links-Batman" problem, but
hey, your page has numerous issues.

How but instead of displaying the submenu links as floated blocks you
put them in an list?

<ul id="submenu">
<li>Menues</li>

ul#submenu {
margin: 0; padding: 0;
list-style: none;
width: {something in em's that would proportional to text};
float: left;
}

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Rik Wasmus

Sep 27, 2007, 1:10:49 PM9/27/07
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 18:47:12 +0200, alice <al...@fearofdolls.com> wrote:

> OK, this page http://www.fearofdolls.com/dinner.html is the same thing
> but simplified, stripped of most of the content, and it validates
> 100%, at least according to the W3C vaildator. And still the problem
> is happening. In the left hand side, there are links for A B and C,
> and then there is the extra C below that, which should not be there.
> Why is it there, and how do I get rid of it?

Aha, this seems to be related to it:
http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/dup-characters.html

An -3px margin on the 'MENUS' <p> indeed seems to make the problem go away.
--
Rik Wasmus

alice

Sep 27, 2007, 1:17:03 PM9/27/07
Thanks. I'll try that. But what is the lesson here, that in IE you
can't have things float left without extra characters appearing? I
mean, how can this specifically be avoided.

On Sep 27, 10:00 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@centralva.net>

William Gill

Sep 27, 2007, 1:21:28 PM9/27/07

alice wrote:

> None of the above replies was even slightly helpful. Is there anyone
> here who can actually help with this problem?

Actually, they are. I won't presume to speak for anyone else, but I
have found that starting with clean valid HTML and CSS is a
prerequisite. It may or may not fix the problem, but it's a necessity.
I have had typo's in my CSS that have caused some very weird output.
Frequently nowhere near where, on postmortem, I would have guessed it to
appear. I could have spent all day looking for the offender, as I'm
sure you have, but a few seconds of fixing seemingly unrelated problems
spared me that fate. "Validate and fix your code" is a statement of
where each one of these experts would begin, not an indictment of your
work so far.

If valid code still produces the problem, at least they won't have to
guess at the cause.

alice

Sep 27, 2007, 1:38:17 PM9/27/07

> > Spelling errors are not it. I have simply dumped in the content from a
> > document and have not gotten around to spell checking or editing, and
> > many other things for that matter.
>
> Now that is surely the wrong way to go about developing a page/site.
> What's to say that when you do get around to using "real" text, you
> don't introduce more/other errors?

What do you mean by this? I like to have at least some dummy text of
some sort as a place holder to give me an idea of what it's going to
look like. When I know the content is not going to change(something
that has happened here), then I'll run it through a spell checker,
then it will be the "real" content. How will that introduce new
errors? And your method would be...?

Andy Dingley

Sep 27, 2007, 1:45:53 PM9/27/07
On 26 Sep, 23:26, alice <al...@fearofdolls.com> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to fix this-
> On this page -http://s195679515.onlinehome.us/emorys/dinner.php

Write better code. What you have isn't "wrong" that we can point a
finger at, but it's low-grade coding style that relies of freaky
behaviours to look right on one browser at a time. When you combine
freaky and IE, you can no longer predict what might happen.

<h2>MENUS</h2>

<a> is an inline element and doesn't cause linebreaks. As you want
each one on a separate line, you've done something freaky in the CSS
to make it look like you want, for one browser, one time. Whatever
this was, obviously didn't travel well to IE.

The fix is to fix your HTML markup. It's a list of block things, so
mark it up as a list of things instead. Just like you'd already done
on the other menus:

<ul>
</ul>

Once you've made the HTML reflect the reality of your content, then
worry about adjusting the CSS to get your look right. If you rely on
freaky CSS, IE will keep biting you whenever it can.

Also ditch the XHTML in favour of HTML 4.01 Strict. Much less to go
wrong.

Jonathan N. Little

Sep 27, 2007, 3:53:40 PM9/27/07
alice wrote:
> Thanks. I'll try that. But what is the lesson here, that in IE you
> can't have things float left without extra characters appearing? I
> mean, how can this specifically be avoided.

Ask Mr. Bill, it's MS that does not want to play nice with standards.

In all seriousness, MSIE has and *still* has issues with floats. You
want a fun one? Float a block next to some test that as some inline
element within styled italic and poof! Watch as everything that follows
on the page disappears! It's great for those reports there you have to
explain to the higher-ups that the project is in the tank. Just float a
little image of a graph or something an make sure the critical comments
*follow* a bit of text emphasized <em>...</em>!!!

Now to your page. avoid XHTML unless your *really* need it, which do
don't. Use HTML 4.01 *strict*. Avoid using 'px' in your style except for
elements dimensioned with pixels, i.e., images. Use % and em's for
the rest. Start minimally and only add want you need to get the effect
you want, prevents DIViditus and CLASSitus. Be flexible, don't try to
make a page pixel-perfect and exact for everybody...it won't happen,
example is pages with forms. The controls look different on different
desktops...Win2K > WinXP, Win > Mac > Linux, Gnome > KDE!

Well that should be a good start.

alice

Sep 27, 2007, 3:58:46 PM9/27/07
On Sep 27, 12:53 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@centralva.net>
wrote:

Thanks. And thanks for actually making sense. I've read books that
imply I should start using xhtml, but I guess that's not so accurate
after all. It's hard to tell who the 'experts' are.

Jonathan N. Little

Sep 27, 2007, 4:31:57 PM9/27/07
alice wrote:

> Thanks. And thanks for actually making sense. I've read books that
> imply I should start using xhtml, but I guess that's not so accurate
> after all. It's hard to tell who the 'experts' are.

Agreed. For most applications XHTML offers no real advantage and if
applied strictly breaks MSIE. So one can correctly conclude that if you
don't need the added features, don't us it. It will just needlessly
complicate your project.

Ben Bacarisse

Sep 27, 2007, 7:24:22 PM9/27/07
alice <al...@fearofdolls.com> writes:

> OK, this page http://www.fearofdolls.com/dinner.html is the same thing
> but simplified, stripped of most of the content, and it validates
> 100%, at least according to the W3C vaildator. And still the problem
> is happening. In the left hand side, there are links for A B and C,
> and then there is the extra C below that, which should not be there.
> Why is it there, and how do I get rid of it?

Your widths do not add up. I can make it go away by making #submenu a
much smaller (about 130px). Adjusting margins might also work.

I feel obliged to give the usual warnings about all this px based
sizes. It will not scale well if people need larger fonts.

--
Ben.

alice

Sep 30, 2007, 3:19:33 PM9/30/07

> > Spelling errors are not it. I have simply dumped in the content from a
> > document and have not gotten around to spell checking or editing, and
> > many other things for that matter.
>
> Now that is surely the wrong way to go about developing a page/site.
> What's to say that when you do get around to using "real" text, you
> don't introduce more/other errors?

I'm still curious about what you mean by this? Do you care to explain?
What should I have done instead?