What is HTTP_Connection?

Dan Gildor

Oct 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/28/95
I recently noticed that certain browsers are sending along an HTTP
header line, HTTP_Connection, with a value, "Keep_Alive".

This obviously isn't in anypart of the HTTP/1.0 spec. Anyone know what
this is, what its supposed to mean/do? What other options are there
for this header?

-Dan

Carlos A. Pero

Oct 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/30/95

The use of this header is under development, but it's meant for
browser-server interaction to keep a single HTTP connection alive and send
multiple files over it, rather than close/open a new connection for every
single inline image.

NCSA HTTPd 1.5 (currently in beta test), along with the latest Mosaic
browsers, do support this communication. The browser signals that it
supports Keep-Alive, and the server will comply if properly configured.
Netscape Navigator 2.0 apparently supports some implementation of this,
but I have yet to see any of their server products touting this feature.

And last I heard the spec for Keep-Alive is still evolving. I think it is
part of HTTP/1.1.

-Carlos

--
Carlos A. Pero Software Development Group
cp...@ncsa.uiuc.edu National Center for Supercomputing Applications

Otis Gospodnetic

Nov 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/1/95
Dan Gildor (gy...@in-touch.com) wrote:
> I recently noticed that certain browsers are sending along an HTTP
> header line, HTTP_Connection, with a value, "Keep_Alive".

server push maybe ?

Otis

--
If you love someone, set them free.
If they come back, they will always be yours.

Yuan Jiang

Nov 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/1/95
In article <hedlund-3010...@hedlund.vip.best.com>,
M. Hedlund <hed...@best.com> wrote:

>cp...@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Carlos A. Pero) wrote:
>> And last I heard the spec for Keep-Alive is still evolving.
>> I think it is part of HTTP/1.1.

Is this "server push" netscape and others talk about?

Christian Bartholdsson

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
In article <cpero-02119...@192.17.18.124>, cp...@ncsa.uiuc.edu
(Carlos A. Pero) wrote:

> Keep-Alive is a new type of HTTP connection (which I've been advised is
> planned to be a part of HTTP/1.2) that will cause the browser and server
> to negotiate a connection where multiple *independent* files to be
> downloaded with a single HTTP connection, such as "give me the HTML, then
> this inline GIF, then this inline GIF". Under HTTP/1.0, this takes three
> separate connections, which wastes time and resources.
>
> Remember, this requires a compliant browser and server, so it will be a
> while until this is widely used.

However, it seems to be popular amongst browser/server programmers, as many
of the new versions coming out at the moment claim support for it, including
NCSA httpd/Mosaic and Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Netscape? Apache?

- ch...@minsk.docs.uu.se <http://www.update.uu.se/~chris/>