Database and CGI???

Rob J Meijer

Nov 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/22/95
I am not very much of an unix programmer, i am triing to use cgi to
access a simple database, the majure problem i have is that for every
query the cgi program is started, it first has to build up an entire
table in memory (from disk) before it can work with the database.
I would like to be able to KEEP THE DATA IN RAM memmory while the cgi-bin
is not run, and than access the memmory when a cgi program is started, could
anyone tell me if, and how this is posible.

Darrel H. Brown

Nov 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/23/95
to Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr wrote:

> to...@Austria.EU.net (Tony Curtis) wrote:
>
> >Start a database server process on the host and talk to
> >that. The server slurps everything in and you then just
> >make the CGI talk to the server.
>
> >miniSQL might interest you in this regard...?
>
> Could you post some information regarding miniSQL? It's the first I've heard of
> it and looks like something I may be able to use as well. A URL would be ideal.
> Thanks!
>
> Mike.
> Mike Kerr, Webmaster (519) 685-8300 x7364
> Victoria Hospital Fax: (519) 685-8305
> London, Ontario, Canada http://www.vichosp.london.on.ca/Mike

The Mini SQL Home Page is at

http://ausweb.com.au/computer/Hughes/w3-msql/
--
Darrel Brown
Government of New Brunswick

Rasmus Lerdorf

Nov 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/24/95
"Darrel H. Brown" <dar...@nbnet.nb.ca> writes:

>Michael Kerr wrote:
>> to...@Austria.EU.net (Tony Curtis) wrote:
>> >Start a database server process on the host and talk to
>> >that. The server slurps everything in and you then just
>> >make the CGI talk to the server.
>> >miniSQL might interest you in this regard...?
>> Could you post some information regarding miniSQL? It's the first I've heard of
>> it and looks like something I may be able to use as well. A URL would be ideal.
>> Thanks!

> The Mini SQL Home Page is at
>http://ausweb.com.au/computer/Hughes/w3-msql/

If you are interested in mSQL as a backend database for your web pages,
you should probably also have a look at the PHP package which allows you
to embed SQL queries right in your HTML files. PHP also provides a
full scripting language right in HTML tags (similar to LiveScript)
which is useful for people even if they are not using mSQL.

More info on PHP can be found at: http://www.io.org/~rasmus

--
Rasmus Lerdorf
ras...@io.org

Jerry Werner

Nov 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/27/95
ras...@io.org (Rasmus Lerdorf) wrote:

>--
>Rasmus Lerdorf
>ras...@io.org

I checked out your URL and found it very interesting, but I'm having a
hard time seeing what kinds of applications your technology can
support. Could you provide pointers to several sample apps? Thanks.

Jerry

don braithwaite

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95
In article <49cgar$m...@anarchy.io.com>, jer...@io.com (Jerry Werner) wrote:

:I checked out your URL and found it very interesting, but I'm having a

:hard time seeing what kinds of applications your technology can
:support. Could you provide pointers to several sample apps? Thanks.

I have created a few simple apps with PHP. My AlphaWorld Atlas, and
Discussion Centre. Take a look at

http://www.interlog.com/~donaldb/php.cgi/~donaldb/alpha/discussion.html

there's a link to the Atlas from there.

don