What is the status of WAIS?

Darren Oh

Dec 15, 2005, 12:17:36 PM12/15/05
I started using the Internet late and have not had the opportunity to
work with WAIS. Is WAIS still being used to publish information? Is
there a WAIS client for Mac OS X or Linux?

Dick Wesseling

Dec 20, 2005, 10:38:39 PM12/20/05
In article <2005121512173616807%darren@wansnet>,

Darren Oh <dar...@wans.net> writes:
> I started using the Internet late and have not had the opportunity to
> work with WAIS. Is WAIS still being used to publish information?

I doubt it. WAIS was a good idea, but there is a major design flaw: it
has no provision for banners or other forms of advertisment. How are
search engine operators going to make a living if they just return
bare search results to the client?

> Is there a WAIS client for Mac OS X or Linux?

FreeWAIS-sf contains a WAIS client, but since this is aging software
that is no longer maintained it is probably not included in any Linux
distro, you will have to search the Internet for it. I doubt that it
compiles out of the box on OS X.