What is a kiosk?

Dick Kreutzer

Jul 24, 1994, 2:39:19 AM7/24/94
In article <30sc9h$p...@newshost.lanl.gov> r...@xmission.xmisison.com (Dick Kreutzer) writes:

From: r...@xmission.xmisison.com (Dick Kreutzer)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.kiosks
Date: 23 Jul 1994 20:28:27 GMT

I found no FAQ at the usual sites, so:

What is a Kiosk?

[Anne and I are still working on the embryonic FAQ for this group...It should
hopefully be done soon. -dknight]

--
OK, but what is a kiosk?

[
well, I seem to recall having a discussion like this during the discussion
phase for the group. If you're asking me PERSONALLY what a kiosk is, I'll
answer as best I can, but I'd also like to see some other people's responses.
After all, my definition might be wrong -- I'd like to find out.

My definition of a kiosk is a stand-alone terminal of some sort,
usually surrounded by some sort of booth (but not always). Kiosks can perform
many functions including transactional (electronic funds transfer) and
informational (what hours are the Valley Library open?) and functional (print
me out that Hallmark card I just designed). Much if not all of what a kiosk
does is determined by it's software. They can be network-connected or not,
can have fancy video, etc. or not -- it all depends on the software and how
much effort the developers put into it.

There are also a number of hardware considerations, but I think these
are something I'm not as strong on and will let others answer.
-dknight
]

Nathan Gasser

Jul 25, 1994, 10:05:06 PM7/25/94
Dick Kreutzer (r...@xmission.xmission.com) wrote:
: OK, but what is a kiosk?

: well, I seem to recall having a discussion like this during the discussion
: phase for the group. If you're asking me PERSONALLY what a kiosk is, I'll
: answer as best I can, but I'd also like to see some other people's responses.
: After all, my definition might be wrong -- I'd like to find out.

This is a great way to start off a new group like this.
Here's my defintion:

A kiosk is a computer system designed for placement in a high-traffic,
public place, where users are not required to have any certain level
of knowledge about the system in particular or computer skills in general.
Kiosks are attractive, friendly, and provide useful information or
services quickly. Kiosks should be also highly reliable and secure.

Anyone else?

Elaine McGirr

Jul 26, 1994, 12:11:39 PM7/26/94
Nathan Gasser (gas...@upenn.edu) wrote:

: Anyone else?
: --
More than that, kiosks are an avenue for people to reach agencies,
information, services that might be denied to them through traditional
means. It is a *public* forum. Kiosks save time, money, effort, both for the
users (who don't have to take a day off to stand in line at the DMV) and the
owners of the information (the DMV can cut back on personnel, transaction
time).

Elaine
--
Elaine McGirr - United States Postal Service - Washington DC
Kiosk Project - Internet: ela...@greyfox.digex.net 202-268-4403

Steve Isaacs

Jul 26, 1994, 1:09:32 PM7/26/94
In article <310h1u$i...@newshost.lanl.gov>, r...@xmission.xmission.com (Dick Kreutzer) says:

> What is a Kiosk?

For those who are interested, Webster's Desk Dictionary says:

"an open circular pavilion used as a bandstand, newstand, etc."

I would be interested in a description of how a "kiosk"
is like a "kiosk" :)

/ / / / /
/ /
\__ /