european weather in gopher

Javier

Feb 12, 2021, 9:49:07 AM2/12/21
Is there any european weather predictions in gopher? Groundhog has
mostly north american data.

gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/groundhog

ISTR there was a site from somebody based in Norway or Sweden that
gave predictions for european cities (even small cities, not just
capitals). My memory is fuzzy and possible that site was accesible
from telnet or http, not gopher, but for sure it gave hour by hour
prediction for many european cities in plain text.

Daniel

Feb 12, 2021, 1:01:36 PM2/12/21
I never noticed that. Though, I often don't use that tool as the BBS's I
login to have weather fetchers.

I would contact the floodgap boss. Have you checked irc? Freenode has a
number of channels: #gopherproject seems to be the best one to ask.

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

Computer Nerd Kev

Feb 12, 2021, 4:30:25 PM2/12/21
In comp.misc Javier <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Is there any european weather predictions in gopher? Groundhog has
> mostly north american data.
>
> gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/groundhog

The only other one that I know of is here:
gopher://gopher.geeksphere.tk/1/

It's actually just a proxy for the wttr.in service:
https://github.com/chubin/wttr.in

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Dennis Boone

Feb 12, 2021, 9:59:52 PM2/12/21
> ISTR there was a site from somebody based in Norway or Sweden that
> gave predictions for european cities (even small cities, not just
> capitals). My memory is fuzzy and possible that site was accesible
> from telnet or http, not gopher, but for sure it gave hour by hour
> prediction for many european cities in plain text.

Sounds like an opportunity to run a service that fetches the
forecasts from those telnet or http sources and serves them
via gopher. ;)

De

Theo

Feb 13, 2021, 5:53:29 AM2/13/21

tjd

Feb 14, 2021, 1:21:59 AM2/14/21

Javier

Feb 14, 2021, 8:20:19 AM2/14/21
That is it. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

I was unsuccessfully grepping for 'gopher' and 'telnet' in my ~/.bash_history.
I totally forgot about the finger protocol.

Daniel

Feb 18, 2021, 4:42:29 AM2/18/21
WOW SO COOL!!!

Jon Tabor

Feb 18, 2021, 10:37:38 AM2/18/21
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 01:42:18 -0800, Daniel wrote:

> Javier <inv...@invalid.invalid> writes:
>
>> In comp.misc tjd <timde...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> finger example-city-name @graph.no
>>>
>>> https://0p.no/2014/12/13/graph_no___weather_forecast_via_finger.html
>>
>> That is it. Thanks for refreshing my memory.
>>
>> I was unsuccessfully grepping for 'gopher' and 'telnet' in my
>> ~/.bash_history.
>> I totally forgot about the finger protocol.
>
> WOW SO COOL!!!

I found that you can select the state, in case you run across a city that
exists in multiple states.

For example, finger springfield @graph.no will give you Illinois, but
finger missouri/springfield @grapho.no will give you Missouri (though in
this example, it actually returns the forecast for St. Louis, but you get
the idea).

Jon

Shehu Dikko

Feb 19, 2021, 4:17:20 AM2/19/21
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.infosystems.gopher.]
* Jon Tabor <tab...@obsolete.site> [2021-02-18]:
% for i in Springfield Missouri+Springfield St.+Louis; \
do curl wttr.in/"$i"; \
done

% for i in Springfield Missouri+Springfield St.+Louis; \
do curl wttr.in/"$i"?format=3; \
done

https://github.com/chubin/wttr.in

regards,

s h e h u

Pinku Basudei

Feb 20, 2021, 4:39:42 AM2/20/21
It's worth noting that there's a message at the bottom of the graph that says that the script will need a rewrite this summer when yr.no changes their API.

--

/ Pinku