Fw: Undocumented UMN gopherd feature

Viatrix

Feb 11, 2024, 1:54:47 PMFeb 11
Begin forwarded message:

Date: 2024-02-11T10:51:01-0800
From: Viatrix
To: gopher-...@other.debian.org
Subject: Undocumented UMN gopherd feature

Hi gophers;
I believe I've discovered an undocumented feature of UMN gopherd!
The feature is: A request ending with 0x09 0x2B (tab plus) will be
treated as a Gopher0 request, not a Gopher+ request. I believe the
intent is to indicate Gopher+ support in URLs without breaking
Gopher0 clients; e.g. <gopher://example.com/0/selector%09%2B>. It causes
no overlap because a Gopher+ request will have a mime-type of non-zero
length after the plus-sign.

Did anyone know of this feature? Do any clients / any other servers
implement it?

Viatrix

Feb 11, 2024, 2:07:22 PMFeb 11
Begin forwarded message:

Date: 2024-02-11T11:06:06-0800
From: Viatrix
To: gopher-...@other.debian.org
Subject: Re: Undocumented UMN gopherd feature

On 2024-02-11T10:51-08, Viatrix wrote:

> I believe I've discovered an undocumented feature of UMN gopherd!

Never mind, after compiling and running gopherd, it does not behave the
way I described. Strange that the code separated '+'-followed-by-string
from '+'-followed-by-nothing, then. Apologies for having misled.

Feb 12, 2024, 3:53:46 AMFeb 12
How much of your regular internet-browsing has gopher replaced?

And putting commercial stuff to the side (shopping and banking) what are
you missing from the gopherverse in order to move the majority of your
internet-activity there?

Best regards,
Daniel