Is txtn.ws gone for good?

m...@ph.or

Feb 21, 2020, 10:25:33 AM2/21/20
gopher://txtn.ws had several pure Gopher news feeds that were a nice
reprieve from the ad-ladened WWW versions. The whole site is down and
I'm wondering if it's gone for good or just undergoing some sort of
transition, hopefully the latter.

Bud Spencer

Feb 21, 2020, 12:35:54 PM2/21/20
Seems so. Hopefully it's not completely gone. We need to keep an eye on
this one.

/
Bud
/

a1=S0
b1=[1..2,'L0L']
a2=2*a1
a3=S1.4#b1
a4=(a2,a3)
a5=64*a4

Daniel

Feb 22, 2020, 3:56:20 PM2/22/20
He posted on his phlog that it's down for good. I was uber bummed as it
was my source of tech news.

I've considered erecting my own based on his code but haven't gotten
around to it. He has a github.

--
Daniel

Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

Bud Spencer

Feb 22, 2020, 6:50:48 PM2/22/20
On Sat, 22 Feb 2020, Daniel wrote:

> He posted on his phlog that it's down for good. I was uber bummed as it was
> my source of tech news.

And this was why? Was there a reason for this? Too bad though ...

> I've considered erecting my own based on his code but haven't gotten around
> to it. He has a github.

You should! Do the right thing!

:D

Daniel

Feb 23, 2020, 6:22:26 AM2/23/20
On 2/22/20 3:50 PM, Bud Spencer wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Feb 2020, Daniel wrote:
>
>> He posted on his phlog that it's down for good. I was uber bummed as
>> it was my source of tech news.
>
> And this was why? Was there a reason for this? Too bad though ...

He didn't specify why, just stated that it was going away for good and
then he posted a URL to the code.

>> I've considered erecting my own based on his code but haven't gotten
>> around to it. He has a github.
>
> You should! Do the right thing!

I may soon.

Bud Spencer

Feb 23, 2020, 3:33:07 PM2/23/20
On Sun, 23 Feb 2020, Daniel wrote:

> He didn't specify why, just stated that it was going away for good and then
> he posted a URL to the code.

Right. Mysterious quits are still mysterious :)

> I may soon.

Sooner the better!

m...@ph.or

Feb 24, 2020, 12:10:55 PM2/24/20
On 2/22/20 1:56 PM, Daniel wrote:
> He posted on his phlog that it's down for good. I was uber bummed as it
> was my source of tech news.
>
> I've considered erecting my own based on his code but haven't gotten
> around to it. He has a github.

Ah, thanks for the update, though not pleasing news. Hope you and/or
others get some RSS-to-Gopher online. I'm personally mostly interested
in non-MSM and international news FWIW.

Daniel

Feb 25, 2020, 12:42:20 AM2/25/20
Me too. He added some conservative news sites for me as well as a
variety of tech sites. I was on there constantly.

I'll post on here and on IRC if/when I do it. It'll likely reside on my
existing hole.

Daniel

Mar 21, 2020, 2:34:44 PM3/21/20
On 2/24/20 9:10 AM, m...@ph.or wrote:
I'm considering a basic free aws account (if they're still offered) and
a cheap domain name to point it to. I'm hosting my own hole on an old
laptop and wish not to reformat my phlog to host news too. And for a
news service like txtn.ws was, I want to guarantee uptime.

Kevin

Mar 21, 2020, 5:05:41 PM3/21/20

-> I'm considering a basic free aws account (if they're still offered) and
-> a cheap domain name to point it to. I'm hosting my own hole on an old
-> laptop and wish not to reformat my phlog to host news too. And for a
-> news service like txtn.ws was, I want to guarantee uptime.

It might be better maybe just a cheap Raspberry Pi off your existing con
nection non ?

I run mine (gopher.is) off of a VM machine running off of my router

Computer Nerd Kev

Mar 21, 2020, 6:43:58 PM3/21/20
Daniel <m...@scifidan.com> wrote:
> On 2/24/20 9:10 AM, m...@ph.or wrote:
>>
>> Ah, thanks for the update, though not pleasing news. Hope you and/or
>> others get some RSS-to-Gopher online. I'm personally mostly interested
>> in non-MSM and international news FWIW.
>
> I'm considering a basic free aws account (if they're still offered) and
> a cheap domain name to point it to.

Last I saw the free accounts only lasted one year, plus I wouldn't
trust them not to change their mind about whatever free deal they're
offering at the moment later on either.

I tried to sign up for one once. The system didn't accept my credit
card which is required to sign up (even for the free account, which
is a worry in itself). My email to support never got an answer. I
figured they were showing all the signs of an organisation that
considers itself big enough that it doesn't have to care about small
customers.

> I'm hosting my own hole on an old
> laptop and wish not to reformat my phlog to host news too. And for a
> news service like txtn.ws was, I want to guarantee uptime.

Presumably you've noticed hosts like SDF.org and the Tilde servers:
gopher://tildeverse.org/1/

Not AWS levels of reliability, but at least not likely to kick you
out one day unless you pay them $$$.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Daniel

Jun 15, 2020, 3:09:02 AM6/15/20
n...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) writes:

/snip
> Presumably you've noticed hosts like SDF.org and the Tilde servers:
> gopher://tildeverse.org/1/

I may just do that instead. I'm in the process of creating a door game
for bbs-land and writing a column for an eMag.

Once I can prioritize it I'll find a way to erect a gophernews site.

I may ask for assistance on scripting and identifying sources. Honestly,
I'd use it mostly for tech news but would want to include many other
types of news similar to what txtn.ws had. God I miss that gopher hole.

Daniel

Jun 16, 2020, 3:09:33 AM6/16/20
I'm exploring options. I may just use available services to host. We'll
see.

I have projects lined up so I have time to think about it.