Current status quo: DNS names should equal web sites

Juancho

Dec 21, 2022, 1:08:08 PM12/21/22
Hello all.

Web (http) encroaching is conquering its ultimate frontier: DNS names
should equal web sites.

Behold: https://css-tricks.com/does-www-still-belong-in-urls/

Even in that article discussing this topic, the fact of hosting content
accessible through a protocol other than HTTP is talked about only
in passing, and the merits of using or omitting the "www" prefix are
discussed based on terms of convenience, branding, SEO, etc.

The mainstream consensus seems to be that HTTP as access method in
not questioned.

This makes Gopher all the more interesting, and an act of resistance.

--
EOT

Marco Moock

Dec 21, 2022, 1:58:47 PM12/21/22
Am 21.12.2022 um 19:03:01 Uhr schrieb Juancho:

> Web (http) encroaching is conquering its ultimate frontier: DNS names
> should equal web sites.

That was the state for years. I am 21, I don't remember how it was 20
years ago, but I remember that most webservers are also running on
example.org and not only on www.example.org. I people are browsing the
web, the mostly don't type www. (me included).
I can understand this and I am am not concerned about that step,
because it does not disturb me.

> This makes Gopher all the more interesting, and an act of resistance.

Maybe I'll run a gopherhole in future, but at this time I have more
important things to do.