Gaufre, a Gopher browser in your Web browser

tjd

Oct 29, 2020, 2:58:31 PM10/29/20
Just F.Y.I.
I came across this interesting project. It works

https://dev.to/commonshost/gaufre-a-gopher-browser-in-your-web-browser-23oc

jeff

Oct 31, 2020, 4:51:42 PM10/31/20
Ya, it seems a nice WWW-to-Gopher proxy -- bookmarked!

Visiblink

Nov 3, 2020, 12:22:30 AM11/3/20
Nice proxy. Probably the nicest that I've seen yet. I'll have to try it
out on my old BlackBerry.

I hope it's set up to prevent search engine indexing.

Mateusz Viste

Nov 3, 2020, 3:53:02 AM11/3/20
2020-11-02 at 21:22 -0800, Visiblink wrote:
> I hope it's set up to prevent search engine indexing.

Why would that be a bad thing? I think that exposing gopher to the world
is good.

Mateusz

f6k

Nov 3, 2020, 10:40:43 AM11/3/20
hello,
i guess their are talking of all the gopherholes reachable by this
proxy (which seems excellent yes !). also some gopher users don't want
to be indexed/sucked by major search engines and even don't want to be
exposed that much on HTTP. i'm one of them for instance.

-f6k

--
~{,_,"> insidious LabRat - ftp://shl.huld.re

Computer Nerd Kev

Nov 3, 2020, 4:31:53 PM11/3/20
Visiblink <visi...@mail.invalid> wrote:
> On 2020-10-29 11:58 a.m., tjd wrote:
>> Just F.Y.I.
>> I came across this interesting project. It works
>>
>> https://dev.to/commonshost/gaufre-a-gopher-browser-in-your-web-browser-23oc
>>
> Nice proxy. Probably the nicest that I've seen yet. I'll have to try it
> out on my old BlackBerry.

It's odd that everyone's calling it a proxy when the link makes it
clear that it's trying not to be a traditional gopher-web proxy
site.

"The Gaufre client runs client-side in your browser, where it is
sandboxed for security reasons and can not access Gopher's raw
TCP/IP sockets on port 70. The solution: Gopher over HTTP (GoH).
Gaufre makes an HTTP request to a very lightweight Gopher over
HTTP proxy, which relays the request to the intended Gopher server.
The Gopher server's response is returned as raw Gopher data through
an HTTP response to Gaufre. Because a GoH proxy does not need to
parse Gopher content, it is very CPU and RAM efficient compared to
traditional Gopher to HTML proxies."

So it's implemented as a client-side gopher browser, but being stuck
in a browser it can only make HTTP requests, hence it needs to use
a proxy that carries the Gopher data over HTTP (but apparantly not
converted to HTML, unlike the gopher-web proxy sites).

I haven't tried it myself mind (I've got a regular Gopher browser
installed, which is vastly more efficient), so I'm assuming that
the article isn't obviously misleading.

> I hope it's set up to prevent search engine indexing.

Nothing at
https://gopher.commons.host/robots.txt

But it would only be a problem if the web crawlers are today able
to run Javascript in order for the browser code to execute. More of
a barrier than regular proxies, but then they probably can do that
at this point because I sure see plenty of search results that take
me nowhere in web browsers without Javascript support.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Daniel

Jan 18, 2021, 5:40:40 AM1/18/21
For that to happen, the w3 search engines would need to crawl
gopher. They don't. Engines like Google don't spend resources on things
that don't positively effect their bottom line. As it is, with the
manner in which the w3 has changed, without being able to drop a tracker
cookie to the gopher users, google wouldn't commit resources to gopher
indexing.

We have search called veronica. That should be enough in my opinion.

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world