Gopher Browser TLS Support

Gopher Space

Feb 18, 2023, 6:38:38 PM2/18/23
Hello everyone,

which gopher browsers support TLS?

I run gophernicus as a server and am currently testing TLS via stunnel on port 7070. So far it works well with the stunnel client (proxy), but I can't find a browser that supports TLS and gopher.

For example, if I go to the domain https://gopherinc.net:7070 or https://cosmic.voyage:7070 in Firefox 56, I successfully get an encrypted connection with the content of gopher. If I call up the pages with gopher:// then it doesn't work.

I hoped it would work in Firefox 56 with the overbite ff plugin, but it doesn't.

Do you have an idea or a tip for me?
Thanks in advance
Rene

someone

Feb 18, 2023, 8:22:30 PM2/18/23
On 2/18/23 4:38 PM, Gopher Space wrote:

> which gopher browsers support TLS?
>
> I run gophernicus as a server and am currently testing TLS via stunnel on port 7070. So far it works well with the stunnel client (proxy), but I can't find a browser that supports TLS and gopher.
> <snip>
> Do you have an idea or a tip for me?

gopher://bitreich.org/1/scm/sacc

They also have a short list of other gopherholes supporting TLS (and Tor).

someone

Feb 18, 2023, 8:25:03 PM2/18/23
Also this one, an interactive Common LISP based client:
gopher://bitreich.org/1/scm/clic

Jason McBrayer

Feb 20, 2023, 8:46:31 AM2/20/23
Gopher Space <in...@gopherspace.de> writes:

> which gopher browsers support TLS?

I'm pretty sure that elpher (for emacs) and VF1 (python) also support
gopher-over-tls.

| Jason F. McBrayer jmc...@carcosa.net |
| A flower falls, even though we love it; and a weed grows, |
| even though we do not love it. -- Dogen |

Gopher Space

Feb 25, 2023, 2:03:06 PM2/25/23
Thanks for your support.