Looking for definitive bookmark list of Veronica server!! (Help)

Tom Brehony

Jun 22, 1994, 12:57:39 PM6/22/94

I'm looking for the definitive list of bookmark's for Veronica servers. Does
anyone out there have one as the Veronica servers I know about are busy most
of the time.

Can anyone out there help?

Tom.

Richard Mende

Jun 22, 1994, 2:28:12 PM6/22/94

Hi, Tom
All the veronica servers are busy most of the time. Go in at odd hours,
such as 4 am local time. Always choose the most obscure veronica server
you can find--if you've never heard of the university, that's good.
I had amazing speed with veronica just last Saturday night, and it was
quite early in the evening, too.
Richard :-)
ram...@mcd.on.ca

Dave Brooks

Jun 23, 1994, 5:07:56 PM6/23/94
to Tom Brehony

You can get a VERY GOOD list of veronica servers at the following bookmark:

Name=Search Gopher Menus by VERONICA
Type=1+
Port=70
Path=1/gophers/veronica
Host=liberty.uc.wlu.edu
<URL=gopher://liberty.uc.wlu.edu/11%2Fgophers%2Fveronica>
** Directory **

This list is ordered like so: the veronica server with the shortest
response time is at the top (response times are shown); then there is a
threshhold dividing the servers that responded from the ones that didn't.
IMHO, this list is one truly great Public Service.

Best regards,
Dave
--
David L. Brooks
Idaho National Engineering Lab. INTERNET: gop...@TIS.INEL.GOV

Jim Ho

Jun 27, 1994, 4:59:33 PM6/27/94
In article <DOB.94Ju...@dewey.tis.inel.gov> d...@dewey.tis.inel.gov (Dave Brooks) writes:

>Name=Search Gopher Menus by VERONICA
>Type=1+
>Port=70
>Path=1/gophers/veronica
>Host=liberty.uc.wlu.edu

The above bookmark yielded no information (in 3 bytes; as reported by your
program) whereas using the URL below on Mosaic produced a list instantly. Any
idea why?

><URL=gopher://liberty.uc.wlu.edu/11%2Fgophers%2Fveronica>

Thanks, Jim.

Dave Brooks

Jun 27, 1994, 7:11:12 PM6/27/94
to Jim Ho
In article <jho.497....@dres.dnd.ca> j...@dres.dnd.ca (Jim Ho) writes:

In article <DOB.94Ju...@dewey.tis.inel.gov> d...@dewey.tis.inel.gov (Dave Brooks) writes:

>Name=Search Gopher Menus by VERONICA
>Type=1+
>Port=70
>Path=1/gophers/veronica
>Host=liberty.uc.wlu.edu

The above bookmark yielded no information (in 3 bytes; as reported by your
program) whereas using the URL below on Mosaic produced a list instantly. Any
idea why?

Yes. IMHO, certain versions of the Unix Gopher server (2.013 and 2.015
that i know of) have a bug with respect to the view
"application/gopher+-menu". I've reported it as a bug, and have mentioned
it in person to several of the interested parties.

You can go to the Configure/Extended views/Preferred view dialog and move
"application/gopher+-menu" down or to the right, and get the expected
results.

However, I think I'll chat with Paul L. about possible work arounds ...