geotiff to bmp or jpeg

rupert

Apr 29, 2001, 6:55:06 PM4/29/01
Hello,
I am looking to convert some data I have in binary arc grid formatted
elevation data into something a bmp or similar for use in a tool such as
Genesis II or teragen - 3d landscape visualisation format.
I can easily enough convert these into geotiff using the gdal libraries,
however i need something that can format either the arc data or the geotiff
into plain old bmp, tiff or non georeferenced image files
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Rupert

Suzanne

Apr 29, 2001, 11:52:58 PM4/29/01
On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:55:06 +1200, "rupert" <rup...@nospam-hug.co.nz>
wrote:

The geotiff is really 2 separate files. One is a .tif file and the
other is a .tfw file. The .tfw file contains the geo-referencing
information. The .tif is just a regular .tif file and should work
just like any .tif. Use an image viewer to open the .tif and save it
to one of the other formats. IrfanViewer (http://www.irfanview.com)
is pretty handy for that purpose and free for personal use.

The GRIDIMAGE command in ArcInfo can export the grid data to formats
other than .tif and I think both .bmp and .jpg are in the options list
but I'm not sure about that. You didn't mention whether you have
access to ArcInfo or not so that may not be an option for you.

Suzanne

Grail

Apr 30, 2001, 1:21:41 AM4/30/01
This may not work for you, but its worth a try for quick bmp conversions -
just "look" at your image in whatever program you're using, and then press
"alt+Print Screen". This will save a screen capture in bmp format. You can
then go to MS Paint/ Word etc. and just "paste". I use this a lot for
simple layouts and stuff. Hope its of some help.

--
James Burn B.Sc., GIS(PG)
---------------

Martin Brockhinke

Apr 30, 2001, 4:04:48 PM4/30/01
Suzanne wrote in message <3aece198...@news.swt.edu>...

>The geotiff is really 2 separate files. One is a .tif file and the
>other is a .tfw file. The .tfw file contains the geo-referencing
>information. The .tif is just a regular .tif file and should work
>just like any .tif. Use an image viewer to open the .tif and save it
>to one of the other formats. IrfanViewer (http://www.irfanview.com)
>is pretty handy for that purpose and free for personal use.
>
>The GRIDIMAGE command in ArcInfo can export the grid data to formats
>other than .tif and I think both .bmp and .jpg are in the options list
>but I'm not sure about that. You didn't mention whether you have
>access to ArcInfo or not so that may not be an option for you.
>
>Suzanne

Hello Suzanne,
all OK, but I think your interpretation of the geotiff-format is not quite
correct.
What you describe is the so-called .TFW-format created (I think) by ESRI.
Indeed here you have two files: one standard .TIFF-file and a .TFW-file
which includes the georeferencing information.
The "real" geotiff-format is a bit different: You have only one .TIFF-file
which includes the georeferencing information in so-called Tags which are
included in the file. Thus the format is a bit more handy (as you have only
one file), another advantage is, that you can store much more data about
projections etc. than in a "simple" .TFW-file.
For infos have a look at http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/geotiff.html

Greetings

Martin

Frank Warmerdam

May 1, 2001, 11:20:16 AM5/1/01
Suzanne wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:55:06 +1200, "rupert" <rup...@nospam-hug.co.nz>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >I am looking to convert some data I have in binary arc grid formatted
> >elevation data into something a bmp or similar for use in a tool such as
> >Genesis II or teragen - 3d landscape visualisation format.
> >I can easily enough convert these into geotiff using the gdal libraries,
> >however i need something that can format either the arc data or the geotiff
> >into plain old bmp, tiff or non georeferenced image files
> >Any suggestions?

Rupert,

GDAL will write JPEG files, but not BMP. It also can't currently
write regular TIFF (as opposed to GeoTIFF) though I would be willing
to make this possible.

> The geotiff is really 2 separate files. One is a .tif file and the
> other is a .tfw file. The .tfw file contains the geo-referencing
> information. The .tif is just a regular .tif file and should work
> just like any .tif. Use an image viewer to open the .tif and save it
> to one of the other formats. IrfanViewer (http://www.irfanview.com)
> is pretty handy for that purpose and free for personal use.

Suzanne,

To clarify, GeoTIFF is just one file with the georeferencing transform
and coordinate system definition within the GeoTIFF file. ESRI generally
produces GeoTIFF + .tfw or TIFF + .tfw. The .tfw file (world file) to
hold the georeferencing transform is an ESRI thing, and *NOT GEOTIFF*.
However, it is simple, useful and widely supported by other packages.

> The GRIDIMAGE command in ArcInfo can export the grid data to formats
> other than .tif and I think both .bmp and .jpg are in the options list
> but I'm not sure about that. You didn't mention whether you have
> access to ArcInfo or not so that may not be an option for you.

Certainly lots of other simple paint and draw programs can also read TIFF
files and produce JPEG, BMP and a variety of other formats.

Best regards,

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warm...@pobox.com

Jonathan Buzzard

May 1, 2001, 12:44:38 PM5/1/01
In article <9ci64t$d9u$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz>,

Depending on what platform you are using you could try the netpbm utils
that can easily be strung together to turn tiff into bmps.

Under Windows take a look at the batch conversion facitilies of PaintShop
Pro 6 and later. They can happly convert a whole directory of tiff's into
bmp's.

Remember that a GeoTIFF is just an ordinary TIFF with some extra tags.
Any program that is able to handle TIFF's should be able to handle them.
A compliant program that handles TIFF's should handle GeoTIFF, if it does
not then it is defective.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jona...@buzzard.org.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44(0)1661-832195