ERDAS Imagine vs. ER Mapper

Michelle

Apr 24, 2001, 2:54:06 AM4/24/01
Please suggest to me !!
I guess that ERDAS Imagine and ER Mapper are good tool for satellite image
analysis.
Which application is better, ERDAS Imagine or ER Mapper?

Now I am wondering which one of them shoud I buy.
The purpouse is to analyze land use and environmet.

Michelle

Jean Baptiste HENRY

Apr 24, 2001, 3:16:50 AM4/24/01
We've been working with ERDAS for years and it is very powerful. For me, one
of the major difference between Imagine and ER-Mapper is that the second
records processings, that is to say, it does not require so many intermediate
files as Imagine. Concerning tools, I think Imagine is really well equiped :
geometric processings, radiometric analysis, radar (current processing,
orthorectification, corrections...), GIS tools... In a nutshell, Imagine is a
good tool, but it seems to be quite expansive... Another well known Image
Processing software is ENVI, from RSInc which has a lot of programming
functionnalities.
I hope it will help you. Sincerely.

JB HENRY

--
Jean Baptiste HENRY
Topography Engineer

Michelle

Apr 25, 2001, 1:29:41 PM4/25/01
Please suggest to me !!
I guess that ERDAS Imagine and ER Mapper are good tool for satellite image
analysis.
Which application is better, ERDAS Imagine or ER Mapper?

Now I am wondering which one of them should I buy.
The purpose is to analyze land use and environment.

Michelle

AndrewSowter

Apr 25, 2001, 2:24:57 PM4/25/01
Can't you get some free demos from the suppliers? I had a free IMAGINE demo
for about 3 months before I had to decide whether to buy or not!

From 13 years working in RS, I know no-one who really uses ERMapper
professionally outside of the Oil & Gas industry. It's a good tool, sure, but
it's not got all of the bells and whistles that IMAGINE has.

One positive thing about ERMapper is that it's a lot cheaper. They only really
have one price for everything whereas ERDAS split IMAGINE into so many modules,
full functionality can be VERY expensive.

Cheers

Andy

P.S. Working in Radar for the last 13 years, I conclude that neither have come
up with a good radar module (in fact no-one has, yet!). Please don't make your
assessment on that!

Grail

Apr 25, 2001, 3:45:22 PM4/25/01
Another possibility is PCI.

--
James Burn B.Sc., GIS(PG)
---------------

walnut-Michelle

Apr 27, 2001, 12:57:04 PM4/27/01
Thank you very much for your comments.
It really helps me to chose a RS application.
And I will ask ERDAS Imagine demo.

Best regards,
Michelle
AndrewSowter <andrew...@aol.com> wrote in message

Michelle

Apr 29, 2001, 7:03:19 AM4/29/01
Hi Grail,
Nice photo you are!

Anyway what is difference between PCI Geomaticas and others?

Michelle

"Grail" <gr...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Grail

Apr 29, 2001, 6:21:31 PM4/29/01
Hey - thanks;-)

PCI is a Canadian product, and is quite comparable to the other image
processing suites. It should be noted that its current general interface is
"different" then the windows standard, but they are correcting this in their
next release. To give you an idea of its capabilities - you can
import/export all major files, perform supervised.unsupervised
classification, georeferencing, many histogram functions, statistical
analysis, as well as other features such as NDVI, PCA etc. Their website is
http://www.pcigeomatics.com. As I said, all in all, its a very good
package, and its less expensive then the others. hope this was able to
help.

Peter Halls

Apr 30, 2001, 3:09:01 AM4/30/01
On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Michelle wrote:

> Hi Grail,
> Nice photo you are!
>
> Anyway what is difference between PCI Geomaticas and others?

PCI is broadly comparable to ERDAS Imagine, but with a different
interface. The main differences are in the radar & photogrammetric
support (IMHO PCI is ahead), 'research' faciilities (PCI is more 'open'
about the algorithms and IMHO has a better customisation interface) and in
the way it links to other software (ERDAS have sharing agreements with
ESRI and have native support for the ESRI binary models, PCI does not).
Both run on multiple platforms. There are some minor differences in
pricing structure ... but otherwise it is very much a question of 'you
pays your money and you take your choice'!

PPPPPH H | Peter Halls - University of York Computing Service -
P P H | GIS Advisor
P P H | Email: P.H...@YORK.AC.UK
PPPPPJHHHHHH | Telephone: 01904 433806 FAX: 01904 433740
P J H | Smail: Computing Service,
P J H | University of York,
P J H | Heslington.
J | YORK YO10 5DD
J J | England.
JJJ This message has the status of a private & personal communication

Jonathan Buzzard

Apr 30, 2001, 12:44:34 PM4/30/01
In article <9c71l2$g4g$1...@newsflood.tokyo.att.ne.jp>,

The biggest difference is speed of image display when zooming in/out
and panning around that 800MB satellite image. Imagine is substantially
faster. Also the copy protection is dongle based on Imagine and last
time I checked ER Mapper had gone to some sort of special file on
your harddisk, that got corrupted if NT crashed while the program
was running.

I have some more in depth comparisons if you want to send me a working
email address I will send you a copy.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jona...@buzzard.org.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44(0)1661-832195

Archie Pedden

May 9, 2001, 12:29:31 AM5/9/01
With regards to your comments that ERDAS links better with ESRI software, I
somewhat disagree. PCI can add ArcView shapefiles or Arc/Info e00 files
quite easily to a project to a number of raster images with on-the-fly
reprojection capabilities. I'm not sure the same can be done easily in
ERDAS. Why use one package to view the imagery, another to manipulate it and
another for map output when you can use Geomatica Prime from PCI to do all
3+more. PCI's Geomatica Prime is able to open over 100+ raster/vector
formats directly in their native format without need for extensive & timely
import procedures. Geomatica Prime is an integration of remote
sensing/image processing, GIS, photogrammetry & cartography in one package.
You can download Geomatica FreeView off their website for a taste of their
new interface at www.pcigeomatics.com .

Also, PCI supports the Linux platform ( ERDAS does not ). PCI supports more
satellite models and also provides both supervised and unsupervised
classification ( both pixel based solution & object oriented ( a new
approach to classification ) ).

I think your decision will be much easier to make after you have taken a
look at PCI.....they can provide you with demo software to try out.

Archie Pedden,
ape...@powergate.ca

"Peter Halls" <pj...@york.ac.uk> wrote in message

Christof Kaiser

May 18, 2001, 9:25:28 AM5/18/01

Michelle wrote:

Hi Michelle,

have you considered using ENVI ?
I liked that quite a bit at uni, compared to Imagine.
The user interface is much more intuitive and I think it can do most if not
all of the stuff.

Regards
Christof

(I am not related to Envi at all )