WOL through linksys router

Dan

Jan 11, 2002, 1:19:02 PM1/11/02
I have a machine that sits on my LAN (behind a linksys router) that I
would like to WOL from another machine on the internet. I know WOL
works - I have done it within the LAN, but I am having problems
getting it to work through the router...

I heard that I needed to forward UDP port 9 through the router, and
then use the IP address of the router and the MAC address of the
machine I wanted to wake for my Magic Packet. However, I set that up,
and it does not work...

Anyway, I was trying to figure out why it wasn't working and then I
realized: I am forwarding port 9 through the router, but I am
forwarding it to an IP that is not currently active (the machine I
want to wake is afterall, asleep).

So, what I think I need to do is forward port 9 through the router but
then broadcast it to my local network instead of forwarding it to a
single IP address.

Is there a way to do this? I am using the Linksys BEFW11S4 EtherFast®
Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router w/4-Port Switch

Thanks, Dan

Brian

Jan 11, 2002, 1:50:22 PM1/11/02
Only a theory, but what if you send the packet to the broadcast IP
(typically x.x.x.255)?

[] [] turb...@certes.net (Dan) arranged some electrons to say:

Dan

Jan 11, 2002, 11:09:08 PM1/11/02
Brian <br...@nomail.net> wrote in message news:<vtcu3uoruigq7a41m...@4ax.com>...

> Only a theory, but what if you send the packet to the broadcast IP
> (typically x.x.x.255)?

Tried that - the linksys router doesnt allow it...only allows
forwarding from x.x.x.0 - x.x.x.254...any other ideas?

Tyrone Cabugao

Jan 11, 2002, 11:49:14 PM1/11/02
turb...@certes.net (Dan) wrote in

In the Filters tab of your Linksys configuration page, have you tried
disabling the Block WAN Requests or enabling the Multicast Pass
Through? My network terminology is kind of hazy right now, but those
settings _might_ have something to do with it.

A solution that I can see having a better chance of working is if you
disable DHCP on your router. Just assign static IP addresses for all
the PCs in your home network. Make sure you have no duplicates IPs...

Please let us know what worked...

--
Tyrone Cabugao
E-mail: tcabugao AT houston DOT rr DOT com

BruceR

Jan 12, 2002, 12:13:30 AM1/12/02
Take a look at alt.video.ptv.replaytv as there's been a lot of discussion
about that same thing as it relates to hooking a ReplayTV 4000 series to the
net.

"Dan" <turb...@certes.net> wrote in message
: I have a machine that sits on my LAN (behind a linksys router) that I

Brian Slack

Jan 12, 2002, 8:36:37 AM1/12/02
Wake on Lan over the internet is usually send with a subnet directed
broadcast so the send ip is

ip = 217.204.255.55
subnet 255.255.255.240
subnet broadcast address = 217.204.255.63

ip = 195.122.133.144
subnet 255.255.255.0
subnet broadcast address = 195.122.133.255

Take a look at http://www.depicus.com for more info or
http://www.ninstall.com for which is the older site but has a page to
send magic packets over the internet.

Dan

Jan 12, 2002, 9:17:13 PM1/12/02
OK, thanks everyone for the feedback...here are the final results (it
is working!!!)

Tyrone - you suggested enabling Multicast passthrough, which threw me
a bit - I didn't have such an option. I then realized that there was
likely a new firmware out there so I checked, and there was (1.39.2)
I installed it, and there was the Multicast passthrough option. Cool.
Tried it. No go.

But then I thought, hey, why not see if I can forward a port to the
broadcast address of my LAN with the new firmware. I tried it
(forward port 9 to x.x.x.255) and it worked! (In the older firmware,
you could only forward to x.x.x.0 - x.x.x.254) Unfortunately, WOL
still didn't work.

Then I thought that maybe port 9 was wrong (I have heard different
port #'s from different places), so I tried forwarding all ports to
x.x.x.255. That worked!

So, I spent a bit of time and finally narrowed down the exact port
that the WOL packets were being sent to...itturned out to be UDP 2304.

Then, I checked out brian's suggested web sites. The stuff at
http://www.depicus.com looked cool, especially the command line tool.
Unfortunately, it didn't work (probably b/c it is using a different
port - though even when I tried the GUI version on port 2304, it
didn't work)

So, the net net is that it's doable, but depending on your software,
the port will vary so you may have to spend some time figuring out
what it is if you only want to forward one port (which is the safest
of course)

So, here's my config in case anyone wants to try and do the same:

Software: AMD Magic Packet Utility v 1.00.005
Router: Linksys BEFW11S4,
Firmware 1.39.2 (Oct 9, 2001)
DHCP is ON for both LAN and WAN
Subnet is 192.168.1.0
Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0
Router LAN IP is 192.168.1.1
Filters tab:
No filtered private IP ranges or private port ranges
Disabled: SPI, Block WAN, Multicast pass, IPSec Pass, Remote
upgrade, MTU
Enabled: PPTP Pass, Remote Management
Forwarding tab:
forward 2304-2304 UDP to 192.168.1.255

So, that's that. Hope this helps everyone in future WOL endeavors.
-Dan

GT

Jan 13, 2002, 10:17:22 PM1/13/02
So it might just have been the wrong port# the whole time, none of the other
stuff mattered?

-GT

Richard

Jan 13, 2002, 11:15:48 PM1/13/02
"Dan" <turb...@certes.net> wrote in message
> I have a machine that sits on my LAN (behind a linksys router) that I
> would like to WOL from another machine on the internet. I know WOL
> works - I have done it within the LAN, but I am having problems
> getting it to work through the router...
>
> I heard that I needed to forward UDP port 9 through the router, and
> then use the IP address of the router and the MAC address of the
> machine I wanted to wake for my Magic Packet. However, I set that up,
> and it does not work...
>
> Anyway, I was trying to figure out why it wasn't working and then I
> realized: I am forwarding port 9 through the router, but I am
> forwarding it to an IP that is not currently active (the machine I
> want to wake is afterall, asleep).
>
> So, what I think I need to do is forward port 9 through the router but
> then broadcast it to my local network instead of forwarding it to a
> single IP address.

WOL is a bit weird in that you have to address a packet to a machine that is
not capable of responding to ARPs - the broadcast address thing will work,
but im not aware of being able to redirect ports.

AFAIK the magic packet doenst need to even be IP, it just needs the mac
address in it in a particular way. The demo I played with only needed the
mac address of the machine to wake up, and be on the same segment. I dont
know how it would deal with a switch.

When link is established to a turned off ethernet machine with WOL, will the
NIC hardware send anything so that the switch knows the connected mac
address at all? Also, there will be problems with the MAC address expiring
from the ARP table after some time (Its not long)