protocol for wifi smart switches and outlets?

Joe Pfeiffer

Dec 19, 2018, 11:36:58 AM12/19/18
While I've been waiting to see whether Zigbee or Zwave was going to be
the future of home automation, wifi-enabled outlets and switches have
quietly been getting popular. But... I haven't been able to find any
information about just what protocol they use. So... does anyone know?

Pat

Dec 19, 2018, 1:41:41 PM12/19/18
TCP/IP, HTTP, XML, and SOAP

My Wemos seem much more complex than necessary. An on command to a
switch is a big long string of XML looking stuff that has an ASCII 1
in the middle. The off command uses the identical big long string but
with a zero instead of the 1.

Joe Pfeiffer

Dec 19, 2018, 5:00:29 PM12/19/18
Anything standard built on top of the last three, or is it ad hoc from
there?