Mastervoice Butler-in-a-box

Jennifer Kalk

Feb 18, 2001, 11:39:39 PM2/18/01

Has anyone has any experience w/ the Butler-in-a-box from AVSI (ex
MasterVoice). It seems to be a mid-90's HA system w/ strong voice-activated
capabilities. Is it still a viable HA controller?

Thx

Anthony

Walt

Feb 19, 2001, 9:20:32 AM2/19/01
There website, http://www.mastervoice.com/, seems to still
be around.

Dan Hinsley

Feb 19, 2001, 10:42:08 AM2/19/01
I have one and the voice recognition capabilities don't impress me
(you must understand that this is my only experience with this). The
only way I can make it understand me is to stand close (within 4 feet)
and talk very loud. On top of this it seems slow. I have a macro
that turns off several lights, and turns on several others and it
takes between 5 and 10 seconds to run.

I'm hoping that this is way behind state of the art, because as far as
I'm concerned it's not functional, but merely a novelty.

Dan

Rick Tinker

Feb 21, 2001, 9:58:40 AM2/21/01
They're gone as far as I know. Lots of legal trouble with
developments that agreed to install them and then they failed to
perform. Gus, the founder (and a Magician by earlier trade) has not
been heard from in a while - some said he skipped the country even!
All unsubstantiated, but aren't all rumors?

The voice recognition though was considered by many to be no more than
"sound recognition" which is how a news story about the dog barking
causing the system to make long distance phone calls came about...
Gave a bad name to other voice recognition systems for sure!

I'd gloss over that system quickly...

Rick

Claus V.

Feb 21, 2001, 9:35:13 PM2/21/01
"Rick Tinker" <Rick_...@hp.deletethis.com> wrote in message

> They're gone as far as I know. Lots of legal trouble with
> developments that agreed to install them and then they failed to
> perform. Gus, the founder (and a Magician by earlier trade) has not
> been heard from in a while - some said he skipped the country even!
> All unsubstantiated, but aren't all rumors?

A magician pulling a disappearing act because the "Butler" did him in.
Sounds like dime store novel heaven to me!

> The voice recognition though was considered by many to be no more than
> "sound recognition" which is how a news story about the dog barking
> causing the system to make long distance phone calls came about...

Still not as good a story as Dave Barry's "The Tomato that Called 911" about
how a rotting tomato on a shelf dripped down onto a phone with speed dial
causing it to short and dial the police who responded, guns drawn.

Claus V.

Brad

Feb 23, 2001, 4:43:20 PM2/23/01
I saw it demoed at a home show once, what a joke. The guy couldn't get it to
work reliably even with a hand held mic.

"Rick Tinker" <Rick_...@hp.deletethis.com> wrote in message

suprem...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2014, 7:41:14 PM1/11/14
I was one of the international sales agent and recruited several countries to be distributors in early 90, I was trained to program it and make it work perfect at those times. They stop produce them due to personal issue as far as I knew. It is a great voice recognition HA system not just by voice recognition aslo can be used as push button controller via a wireless home phone. It no longer available in the market as I know.
Hope this can be helpful!

Raymond

prime...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2015, 4:08:13 PM2/4/15
I have one. what would you like to know about it

put...@rogers.com

Mar 24, 2015, 5:25:04 AM3/24/15
I was a dealer and still have a couple still in the box. I have been using one for 20+ years to control a myriad of lights with other X-10 devices. I agree the voice control was problematic. It did control a fighter jet in an experiment. If it is compared to todays voice control it is flintstonian. Mine still works and I have a large rechargeable backup battery for when the power goes out as it is vexing to input all the device settings if the backup power dies. I hardly think about it as it works seamlessly. Only thing to do is to rest the time display if there is a power outage. That takes about 15 seconds.

Bruce

rdam...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2015, 12:33:07 PM4/3/15
I bought a used butler in a box without the four digit pin code. Is there a way to find out what the pin code is. You indicated you had a couple still in the box how much do you want for one.

alan...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2016, 1:56:57 PM1/20/16
Yes it's been a long time. I still have 5 of them. I was a distributor i the Rochester, NY area.

Alan J. Frisa
585-370-7962

ftn...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2016, 3:40:02 PM9/5/16
Good afternoon

A friend of mine gave me a Mastervoice Butler in a Box (Gen 1) still inside the Styrofoam packaging. It seems that all of the other accelamp Modulessories are also included; (1)Powerhouse Appliance Module,(1)Powerhouse Lamp module, (1) Training Cassette (in case and with label). I was not provided with the Owner's Manual. When I plugin the 'Butler' the display reads the following: ERROR: 0000-FF. There is also a RED light the has a slight flicker just below the display.

Can anyone help me clear the error message or provide me with any additional information that can bring 'Max Headrome' back to life?

Thanks

Ben

webejami...@gmail.com

dndtr...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2018, 5:33:52 AM1/24/18
former Distributor; gus is still around living in the same area and offers an upgrade

eddy...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2018, 1:54:45 AM10/19/18

eddy...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2018, 3:40:06 AM10/19/18
Bruce ,Do you still have any Units left by any chance? Or know of anyone or anyplace that do? I know its been almost over two years since you posted this ,But I believe in miracles . I`m a Disabled Vet. and I have been using the Butler Series 11 for over 27 years .My units display apparently just burnt out but i can still use it untill i loose the memory cant see display too reload memory now you know my situation ,By the way my name is Eddy .So if you or anyone in this forum can Help me,you can contact me via email at eddy...@gmaii.com or phone me at 305-819-3304 between 12:00 pm and 4:00 pm est.time.THANK YOU For Your TIME.

Sam Linton

Mar 8, 2020, 7:54:20 PM3/8/20
What is that way to find out what the pin is?

Sam Linton

Mar 8, 2020, 7:54:58 PM3/8/20
Can you give me some pics?

dndtr...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2020, 5:21:18 PM3/27/20
FYI: I'm a former distributor I know exactly what Gus is doing and where he is.last I talked to him about 2 years ago he was still in the same house in Yorba Linda, California
He's rising star excutive director with Legal Shield

dndtr...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2020, 5:23:16 PM3/27/20
Alexander is Alexa's Great Grandfather! I still have a cple units if anyone is interested!

eddy...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2020, 12:33:21 PM3/28/20
On Friday, March 27, 2020 at 5:23:16 PM UTC-4, dndtr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Alexander is Alexa's Great Grandfather! I still have a cple units if anyone is interested!

Please contact me at 305 819 3304 , please leave a message and a number to call back .

eddy...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2020, 11:54:13 PM3/28/20
On Friday, March 27, 2020 at 5:23:16 PM UTC-4, dndtr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Alexander is Alexa's Great Grandfather! I still have a cple units if anyone is interested!

dndtr-Please contact me in reference to the unit's you have at 305 819 3304 if I don't answer please leave a message and a way to contact you .

Sam Linton

Jun 21, 2020, 6:25:00 PM6/21/20
I am interested

DR R

Oct 4, 2020, 2:37:07 PM10/4/20
I have four of these - three still in box with manual and two backup connectors.

Tim Scott

Aug 29, 2021, 3:55:43 AM8/29/21
I'm quadriplegic,,, I had one and liked it, but a lightening strike took it out. Would love another one.
tim, 270 349-0250, ale...@att.net

mkyse...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2021, 5:51:29 PM9/7/21
Wow! I totally forgot about this!