Problem and question

lll

Nov 14, 2001, 10:48:58 PM11/14/01
Problem: Trying to use wireless motion detector, TM751 and CM11a using a lamp
module to test a distant outlet. The CM11a can turn on the lamp module
directly, but the TM751 cannot. Given the TM has a greater signal strength,
whats up?

Question: whole house real time power metering for a house with 400 amp
service. Any ideas? Need to track use and need PC based application if
possible.

TIA
Leonard Conn
Leonar...@hotmail.com

BruceR

Nov 15, 2001, 12:51:11 AM11/15/01
Regarding the problem, do you have a coupler or repeater installed? I'm
guessing that if you have 400 amp service that your home is larger than 2500
sq. ft. If so, a repeater is most certainly required. Rather than the
Leviton that sells for $60 and has been reported to have some problems, I
would steer you to the ACT repeater which, IMHO, is worth the over $200
price. I use one and I'm very pleased with it. It eliminates 99.95 of
signal problems.

"lll" <y...@somehost.somedomain> wrote in message
: Problem: Trying to use wireless motion detector, TM751 and CM11a using a

:

Dave Houston

Nov 15, 2001, 6:05:06 AM11/15/01
y...@somehost.somedomain (lll) wrote:

>Problem: Trying to use wireless motion detector, TM751 and CM11a using a lamp
>module to test a distant outlet. The CM11a can turn on the lamp module
>directly, but the TM751 cannot. Given the TM has a greater signal strength,
>whats up?

If the TM751 is located at the same point as the CM11A, then this is a
mystery. If they have different locations, it could be a coupling problem or
it might be there's a signal eating appliance affecting the TM751 but not
the CM11A.

Also, could it be an RF range problem? Are you sure the TM751 is receiving
the RF from the motion detector?

My stock answer - buy the ELK ESM1 meter and end the guesswork.

>Question: whole house real time power metering for a house with 400 amp
>service. Any ideas? Need to track use and need PC based application if
>possible.

http://www.brandelectronics.com/powermeter.htm
http://www.epd.com/power_meters.html#EM-1
http://www.brultech.com/
http://www.seanadams.com/pge

Also see my web page. There's a brief article on this topic with links to a
couple other DIY methods.
---
http://www.laser.com/dhouston/
The problem with Usenet is that so many with
nothing to say feel the necessity to say it.

lll

Nov 15, 2001, 6:52:32 AM11/15/01
Caught me on part of the problem. The house is 7500sf in two buildings but I
have had few problems with the modules installed so far. Yeah I know, it
probably shouldn't work as it is. I am looking at amped coupled repeaters
now.
On location, I put the motion detector 3 ft from the TM751 to eliminate the
RF issue, the TM751 was plugged into the remote end but couldn't signal the
CM11a, but the CM11a could signal a lamp module plugged into the same remote
outlet. I have seen a similar problem where the TM751 would not work reliably
but a hardwired controller always worked.

Leonard

In article <KWGI7.475405$ME2.57...@typhoon.kc.rr.com>,
y...@somehost.somedomain says...

Dave Houston

Nov 15, 2001, 9:45:56 AM11/15/01
I'd buy the ELK ESM1.

y...@somehost.somedomain (lll) wrote:

---

BruceR

Nov 15, 2001, 4:46:17 PM11/15/01
For your house buy the ACT repeater. The ACT repeater lets you install
multiple units if needed, without them stepping on each other's toes.

: Caught me on part of the problem. The house is 7500sf in two buildings

: >
:

Mark Lloyd

Nov 15, 2001, 7:47:08 PM11/15/01
"BruceR" <bru...@whoeverDOT.com> wrote in

> Regarding the problem, do you have a coupler or repeater installed?
> I'm guessing that if you have 400 amp service that your home is larger
> than 2500 sq. ft. If so, a repeater is most certainly required.
> Rather than the Leviton that sells for $60

That's the newer LEviton, not the Leviton 6201, which I use and have had no
problems with.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://go.to/notstupid

40 days until the winter solstice holiday