Five Speakers: Outdated video card?

aether

Apr 6, 2005, 3:05:23 AM4/6/05
I recently purchased the 5.1 Creative SBS 560, which comes with five
speakers. However, on this particular computer, there's an older sound
card. (Creative SB Live! Value)

The problem is, only four of the speakers are functioning. The center
speaker is mute. Could this be due to the sound card being outdated?

Conor Turton

Apr 6, 2005, 4:44:57 AM4/6/05
In article <1112771123.4...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
aether says...
THere are several versions of the SBLive!. One of them, the Value, is a
4.1 card only. Sounds like this is your problem.

Creative Audigy cards are going for very little on E-Bay and are quite
alot better than the Live! so it may be worth buying one.

--
Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B

aether

Apr 6, 2005, 5:12:37 AM4/6/05
> Conor Turton wrote:
> >
> THere are several versions of the SBLive!. One of them, the Value, is
> 4.1 card only. Sounds like this is your problem.
>
> Creative Audigy cards are going for very little on E-Bay and are
quite
> alot better than the Live! so it may be worth buying one.

Hi, Conor

When I was configuring these speakers (via the drivers provided by
Creative), there was support for two speakers, four speakers, and
headphones.

This particular SB Live! Card came with a computer purchased in 2002. I
believe this is the model:
http://www.digiconcepts.com/creativelabs_soundcards_04.htm

It indeed states that this card supports up to four speakers.

aether

Apr 6, 2005, 5:21:46 AM4/6/05
Would something like this work?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=29-102-177&DEPA=0

Would any 5.1 sound card allow for five speakers?

Conor Turton

Apr 6, 2005, 6:26:01 AM4/6/05
In article <1112779306.9...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
aether says...Yes.

> Would any 5.1 sound card allow for five speakers?

Yes but I'd stick to well known names. Lots of cheapo stuff floating
around and the sound is horrendous.

Chuck

Apr 6, 2005, 11:46:50 AM4/6/05

"aether" <vercin...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Sorry guys but I happen to own the exact same setup in my other computer and
the middle speaker works fine. You just have to enable 5.1 in the creative
control panel where it says speaker setup. Also make sure you have the
latest Creative drivers.

Paul

Apr 6, 2005, 1:51:50 PM4/6/05
In article <KvT4e.31805$Pc.1...@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>, "Chuck"
<chuck...@hotmail.com> wrote:

This is the closest manual I can find:

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download2.asp?manualID=790&Product_ID=1853&regionID=1&Product_Name=Sound+Blaster+Live%21+5%2E1+Digital+%28Dell%29

http://files.americas.creative.com/manualdn/Manuals/790/English.pdf

Page 14 shows the top jack is used for either digital or analog
output. In analog mode, it becomes the center/sub jack.

On Page 29, it explains about the "Digital Output Only" checkbox.
As Chuck suggests, you want to be in 5.1 mode, but you also want
to make sure the "Digital Output Only" is unchecked, as that
makes the output analog suitable for the speakers.

HTH,
Paul

Conor Turton

Apr 6, 2005, 4:20:12 PM4/6/05
In article <KvT4e.31805$Pc.1...@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>, Chuck
says...

> Sorry guys but I happen to own the exact same setup in my other computer and
> the middle speaker works fine. You just have to enable 5.1 in the creative
> control panel where it says speaker setup. Also make sure you have the
> latest Creative drivers.

Its not that simple. There are several versions of the SBLive! card and
at least two versions of the Value...one being creatives own chipset
and the other a rebadged ESS.

aether

Apr 6, 2005, 6:46:50 PM4/6/05
I believe I have the older version Conor spoke of (4.1), because I've
encountered no 5.1 option. Looks like I'll be engaging in a hunt for a
sound card. Thanks for the help, fellas.

DaveW

Apr 6, 2005, 7:10:08 PM4/6/05
Yes. Time for a new soundcard to match your speakers.

--
DaveW

"aether" <vercin...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

aether

Apr 6, 2005, 9:29:34 PM4/6/05
Update

Purchased a SB Live! LS 5.1 Soundcard.

When playing audio or video, the center speaker still doesn't work.

However, when testing them in diagnostics (front left, center, front
right, rear l/r), it does.

How do I get the front speaker to work at all times?

aether

Apr 6, 2005, 9:37:48 PM4/6/05

Paul

Apr 7, 2005, 3:53:30 AM4/7/05
In article <1112837374....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"aether" <vercin...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Did you uninstall the software for the old sound card ?

Paul

aether

Apr 7, 2005, 5:20:22 AM4/7/05
Paul wrote:
> Did you uninstall the software for the old sound card ?
>
> Paul

Indeed, and then installed the drivers on the CD that came with it.
Shouldn't this be working? The fact that it works on the diagnostics
test, whereas before it didn't, is a good sign I suppose.

Paul

Apr 7, 2005, 6:24:51 AM4/7/05
"aether" <vercin...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I was going to suggest testing by using this site:

http://www.cinenow.com/us/vobtrailer.php3

but seeing as my Windows Media Player seems to be busted,
I cannot test the files to see whether they work or not.

It could be that _something_ in the audio software stack is
not right, for what you are trying to do. If you have some
DVD player software, that software plus a DVD, should give
you an opportunity to test the speakers.

Pretty lame suggestions, but unless someone has a nice
testing application, you'll just have to experiment. The
fact that the test you did works, could mean that
maybe Microsoft "DirectSound" works, but I really don't know
anything about all the other software paths that sound takes,
so other than testing with the DVD player software, I don't
know what paths support 5.1 or just stereo.

I have a foggy idea how AC3 and SPDIF work, but in this case
you are testing an analog only path, and there really should
not be anything preventing a 5.1 media source from reaching
the 5.1 speakers.

One thing you occasionally have to watch for, is there aren't
really good standards for the center/subwoofer connector.
Some speakers have the center/sub reversed, and what happens
is the bass sounds try to come out of the tiny center speaker,
while the higher frequency content of the center signal,
tries to come out of the woofer (and virtually nothing
happens). That will sound really weird, but not completely
dead, if it happens. Some mixer/control panels have a setting
to reverse center/sub, which should have a dramatic effect and
correct that problem.

Keep pluggin at it,
Paul

aether

Apr 7, 2005, 6:53:34 AM4/7/05
Paul wrote:
> One thing you occasionally have to watch for, is there aren't
> really good standards for the center/subwoofer connector.
> Some speakers have the center/sub reversed, and what happens
> is the bass sounds try to come out of the tiny center speaker,
> while the higher frequency content of the center signal,
> tries to come out of the woofer (and virtually nothing
> happens). That will sound really weird, but not completely
> dead, if it happens. Some mixer/control panels have a setting
> to reverse center/sub, which should have a dramatic effect and
> correct that problem.
>
> Keep pluggin at it,
> Paul

Am tinkering with everything. That link you provided; I tried to play
the .vob file, but am missing codecs. I then downloaded software that
converts .vob files into .avi format, but then found you can't download
the file.

Do you think it's possible I purchased the wrong sound card? I thought
it being a 5.1 card would result in all five speakers functioning.

aether

Apr 7, 2005, 7:10:43 AM4/7/05
Update

I loaded a DVD with Windows Media Player instead of PowerDVD, and the
center speaker was functioning. However, it doesn't function when
playing MP3s. Should it? Or, does it not because of the files?

Conor Turton

Apr 7, 2005, 7:42:39 AM4/7/05
In article <1112837374....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
aether says...
Use 5.1 encoded audio/video files.

Conor Turton

Apr 7, 2005, 7:43:20 AM4/7/05
In article <1112872243.2...@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
aether says...

> Update
>
> I loaded a DVD with Windows Media Player instead of PowerDVD, and the
> center speaker was functioning. However, it doesn't function when
> playing MP3s. Should it?

No. MP3 files are encoded in stereo.

Yousuf Khan

Apr 7, 2005, 3:58:50 PM4/7/05

You might find that the only applications that make use of all your
speakers are the software DVD players.

Yousuf Khan

U. Cortez

Apr 7, 2005, 4:24:13 PM4/7/05